Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:05 AM   #1

Default I know this is a dumb question...

White or red? Amazon.com has the white and red K-x's on sale for $50 off. Which makes it <$510 shipped for the body + 18-55mm kit. It only applies to white or red and I am trying to decide which clor would be the "least annoying/irritating" in the long run. I'm leaning towards white, but I'm concerned about dirt showing up easily. However, that might provide motivation to keep it cased properly when not in use and cleaned frequently. The red just looks so bright on-screen. Is it that bright/loud looking in person?
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

This has a very clear and empirically supported answer.

White

why? stormtrooper of course
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
This has a very clear and empirically supported answer.

White

why? stormtrooper of course
Totally what my DH would say.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:19 AM   #4

I chose white, because it matches lenses better and doesn't appear too edgy.

Here's my white K-x paired with the Lensbaby Composer:

As you can see, it really goes well with lenses that are silver & black, like the Lensbaby or some of the FA lenses; it does look a bit odd with the DA* 16-50 though. The red model probably wouldn't match well with lenses in any color except black or red.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:27 AM   #5

Oh, thank you for the pic! I pulled the trigger and ordered white. It's hard to tell what something really looks like in manufacturer's stock photos.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:33 AM   #6

For general all-purpose picture taking, what would be the next lens to add to the kit? We're having a vacation to Disney in February, so I have time to poke around and look for something.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:15 AM   #7

What's your budget like?

If you're looking for cheap all-around lenses, you can go for the DA 50-200 zoom. Paired w/ the kit, that covers 18-200mm. B&H has them for $209: http://bit.ly/798tod

If you want additional reach without additional cost, check out the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 zooms by Tamron and Sigma. You lose the 55-70mm range, but you gain 100mm on the supertelephoto range, plus macro capability. B&H has the Tamron 70-300 for $165 right now, which is quite a bargain compared to the Sigma: http://bit.ly/8vXbio

Out of the zoom category, a 50mm f/1.4 lens might be one to have available, as you might want to take photos in low-light and can't use flash (flash is usually not allowed inside of rides). It's pricier, though (B&H shows $360 for the lens): http://bit.ly/4vLs5e

If you really have money to spend, then consider the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 instead of the kit lens. You'll cover a similar range to the kit, but be able to use f/2.8 at any focal length, making this a nice all-around lens, even in low-light. I used it quite a bit during my trip to Washington, D.C. It's larger and much heavier than the kit, plus did I mention it's expensive (cheapest price I could find is $720): http://bit.ly/5lvZZQ

If portability is your concern, check out the Limited series. There are a number of pancake lenses to choose from. I don't have experience w/ them, but they certainly look fun to use. The 40mm f/2.8 is currently cheaper than the 50mm f/1.4, shown above. The 40mm is slightly slower, but it's also offers a slightly wider field of view (the 50mm can feel a bit cramped indoors).

- Jason

Last edited by Illuminati; Dec 17, 2009 at 3:22 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:23 AM   #8

The DA 50-200 is the second "kit" lens, when the 2 lens kit is purchased, correct? I think I want to avoid that and just go with a (slightly) better lens. Will I "miss" the 55-70mm range? Or will I typically be able to utilize the 55mm or the 70mm and get most of the types of shots you want to take while vacationing? With my point-and-shoot, I was always typically an "all in or all out" snapshooter. Never a happy medium. So I think I'll probably not even realize the 55-70 is "missing" in my range. I do like to crop pics though. I seem to tend to have distracting "stuff" towards the edges of a pic and crop it out. Is the Tamron a better quality of lens than the Pentax kit 55-200? I know it will give me more upper end zoom.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:36 AM   #9

Didn't realized you purchased the 2-lens kit. Yes, the dual-lens kit is the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses.

My personal experience is with the Sigma 70-300. It served me well. If you search around the internet though, people will say that the Tamron version is better, as the Sigma version gained some notoriety for some QC issues. In my opinion, you won't miss 15mm of focal length between this and the 18-55 kit lens. as that's something that can gained by taking a step or two. The 100mm gain and macro capability definitely offset the 15mm loss.

I have no experience w/ the DA 50-200, but I hear it's a good performer. My guess would be that the 50-200 has better quality than either 70-300, as it has a shorter range to manage. But you'd get more bang for your buck with the 70-300.

- Jason
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:00 AM   #10

No, I didn't purchase the 2 lens kit. The white only came with the 18-55 and really $510 shipped was a great deal. So, I went with it over the $650 2-lens kit. I figured I could parlay that $140 difference into another lens that might suit me better than just the generic kit lenses.