Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Impessed with the Kx

I have been shooting my new Kx for the newpaper and I am very impressed with the results. The ski park opening picture is in P mode with the Tamron 18-250 as I need to just fire away as the lift passes. The metering is right on. The community choir picture is in ISO 3200 with a Vivitar 24mm manual prime with very little PP. The kids were part of a caroling group I shot in RAW with the Vivitar at ISO 6400. Not bad. The Kx gets a "Highly Recommended" from this shooter.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2

Have you tried the HDR feature yet? Would like to hear some opinion about it. Also did you do the firmware upgrade that was recently release. It suppose to have resolve the battery recognition issue.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:37 PM   #3

I use Photomatix for HDR because of the control features. I installed the battery firmware before I took a single shot. I'm at 244 shots with Rayovac 2100 mAh 1.2v hybrids and still full green on the battery meter.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:44 PM   #4

My brother is lean toward the K-X as his first DSLR. I played with it a bit at the shops, and it seem to be very well made, and has loads of features. The in camera hdr got me interested as I am to lazy for post production work, way to much time in a dark room from film.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:56 AM   #5

Thanks for posting these - sure does show both the quality of the camera, and the skill of the photographer. Nicely done!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:55 AM   #6

These are really nice! This camera sure looks like a good one - all the pictures I've seen from it are outstanding. My camera envy keeps kicking in when I see these nice pictures (and no, I do NOT need another camera!!!).

shoturtle - as I understand, the Kx's in-camera HDR capability is the same as the K-7. I play around with it every so often and liked it. In a couple of cases, the in-camera version was better than I could manage from Photo Matix with a series I took at the same time.

But it won't replace HDR software because there are limitations. First, you HAVE to use a tripod or have the camera securely fixed down somewhere (Photo Matix can line up hand-held frames if the framing doesn't vary much). Second, your object can't move at all - i.e., don't bother trying to take trees if there's a breeze (but this is true for software produced HDR pictures too. While PhotoMatix can deal with slightly mis-aligned originals, it can't do anything about a person who walks on or leaves swaying in the breeze). Third, the camera uses only 3 shots and the Ev is somewhat limited - I've run across scenes where the dynamic range was beyond the camera's HDR capability and the only thing that would work is to set the various frames by hand because the range was something like 8-10 stops.

I find the feature very useful at times and almost always try a couple of them if I'm using a tripod and shooting for HDR.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:40 AM   #7

Good to hear the K-x is doing the job for you. One note - for snow pix I would disagree about exposure being "right on" - like any camera out there, it is underexposing the shot because of the snow and sky. Use some exposure compensation (usually about +2/3 to start with). In reality, blowing a few highlights in portions of the snow is a small price to the people in the scene being properly exposed. But again, this is not a knock on the camera - pretty much every camera out there will underexpose this scene as well. Also, be careful of the white balance too - there's a blue shift on this image.

For most people I wouldn't bring this stuff up - but you mentioned you were shooting for the local paper so I figured you're ready for this type of feedback.

Again, glad to hear the K-X is doing the job!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:59 AM   #8

I tried the HDR and mtngal is correct. Not only do you not have any control over the stops, the stabilization is turned off. JohnG is also correct. I went for the skiers because there was so little snow in the shot and I wanted their exposure correct. It seems so counterintuitive, but you do need to overexpose when shooting ski races, for example. The shot is not as blown out as it looks as it was a very grey, overcast day.

Last edited by pboerger; Dec 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:03 PM   #9

Nice assortment. The carolers are cuties. Glad you are enjoying the camera.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote