Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:16 AM   #1

Default Field Trip Photos

I just finished up with a landscape photography workshop run by the local community continuing education and taught by a local photographer. We took a field trip to Griffis Sculpture Park in Springville back in mid November. The day was rather nasty overcast and I didn't really have as much time to get all the shots that I needed to for the workshop but was able to get some that I liked.

The first couple, she wanted framed shots and several of the sculptures offered good opportunities for that

Despite being so overcast and not really a nice day, it was very calm and offered a great chance to capture some nice reflections off the various ponds around the park.

This last one was one of my first shots when I got there and probably my favorite from the day. It made me imagine myself in some weird dream of floating over the surface of the pond...

I don't generally get very motivated to get out at this time of year due to the overcast days and cold but I was kind of forced to this particular day and had to make due with what I was given. Thanks for looking and C&C always welcome, even though have already had them scrutinized by my instructor and class lastnight.

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Dec 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2

Hey Mike,
I like these a lot. I'm a long way from being qualified to critique someones photos but, I thought I'd give you my take on the only one I had a problem with.
When I first looked at #1 I didn't really like it because I had to scroll up and down to see view it all. (not your fault) I zoomed out to where I could see the whole pic and thought Yeah, that's much better but, still something not quite right... I wanted more of the frame in the picture and it seemed a little bit off level. I went ahead and gave it a 3 degree CW twist but, of course that meant cropping even more of the frame off so, it's still not what it could be if it had more "meat" on the edges.

The last one is great and the pond/reflection shot I really like.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3

Hmmm... after all that, when I went back and looked at your shot, I realized that perhaps yours was straight after all and the landscape was just naturally sloping.
Oh well, either way, Id still like more meat around it.
I think I'll just crawl over to my hole and shut up for a while...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Dec 18, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Haha, That's ok GW, the original is indeed straight, I had actually made sure I was level on the tripod before taking the shot. The background does slope a little, don't get me started about the walk to the top of this hill, I think I nearly died as it was.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:15 PM   #5

I knew the first one was level because of the trees, but your tilted frame and the sloping ground makes me feel like I'm drunk or something! It's actually quite dynamic this way, almost disturbing (I don't mean that as a negative at all, just the opposite), and definitely interesting. Makes me look at it several times (and isn't that the goal of photography?).

When I first looked at your third one, my thought was how much I wished you had done an HDR of the beautiful scene, the reflection is perfect. Then I thought about it - your day was really grey. And I remember living in Michigan in the winter, when everything is black, white and grey and the overall feel is so dark. So my second thought was how perfect your picture was just as it is - it captures that grey, dark feeling of winter extremely well. It's not a bright, happy picture but then it shouldn't be given your conditions.

And I can understand why the last one is your favorite, it's very nice. I think I would like it better without the foreground bits of brown grass that are over the statue and reflection - too bad you couldn't have gotten higher so they weren't so much in the way.

Thanks for posting such a thought-provoking series.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:20 PM   #6

Here is the other shot I took at the pond with no elements in front, more reflection.

Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:32 PM   #7

I remember having to do framed shots in my photography class. They certainly aren't easy. Some interesting shots you got here. The wood in the first one keeps drawing me in to what it is supposed to be. And, the sculpture on the water is certainly strange. Is it supposed to be making a statement?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:40 PM   #8

Really like that first framed shot, but all are great. Looks like an interesting class (and a fine photographer too!)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I remember having to do framed shots in my photography class. They certainly aren't easy. Some interesting shots you got here. The wood in the first one keeps drawing me in to what it is supposed to be. And, the sculpture on the water is certainly strange. Is it supposed to be making a statement?

Patty
That sculpture on the water is just one of several, but to me the most interesting. It just gave me the feeling of being in a weird dream floating over water and I really liked the reflection I got off the water. I will probably go back to this park in the spring or summer when the weather is nicer and see if I can get some shots that are more to my liking, not to say I'm not pleased with the shots I did get. But I like a little blue sky in my shots and more green foliage.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Really like that first framed shot, but all are great. Looks like an interesting class (and a fine photographer too!)
That framed shot did catch the instructor's eye, she was suggesting framing it with old barn wood. That's of course if I frame it. I think that's an interesting idea though. It was nice to take this workshop more for the fact that at least I know I'm on the right track with my photography. I'm thinking of signing up for her workshop on Composition in the spring. I feel like that's my biggest weakness, I just don't have that natural eye for composition and I find it to be the hardest part of photography.