Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1

Default what I do with my spare time...

A good friend asked me if I'd build him a BBQ smoker pit on wheels so he can make a little money when he retires by selling on the roadside stands.
I said sure, if you bring me all the materials I need. and he did so, I built.
here is the result of the last few weekends work. It is not the nicest one I've ever built but considering all the mishmash of parts and having to make so many parts my self I thought it came out pretty fair. when its all finished it will have a box made a stainless steel and insulated with 1 inch thick insulation double wall construction, with wire racks that pull out on roller slides. Should make him a nice unit.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Dec 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2

You're quite a talented man in metal working, welding, etc. Very nice, like the steam engine appearance also. Did you also make the trailer ?

Lot's of cooking capacity and I like the work tray and storage shelf under the trailer. Great design and build.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

that looks incredibly nice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:42 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice work GW...I am ever so envious of those who can craft things like this! You are quite the artistisan!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:49 AM   #5

Dang it, GW !! Now you've gone and ruined my lazy Monday. After seeing this smoker, I have to get up, get dressed, and go get charcoal, hickory, and ribs. There is simply no choice now that you've got me thinking fresh-smoked Bar-B-Q,

Really looks like a terrific design and I'm envious. However, I do have one clarification wanted, and it's created by the angles of the photos. I'm assuming the final photo shows the smoke/heat tunnel between the firebox and the meat chambers at the left of the photo. Some of the other photos make it look like the firebox is offset to the point that I was wondering about the smoke path.

Nice work, both on the trailer and the photos.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Dang it, GW !! Now you've gone and ruined my lazy Monday. After seeing this smoker, I have to get up, get dressed, and go get charcoal, hickory, and ribs. There is simply no choice now that you've got me thinking fresh-smoked Bar-B-Q,

Really looks like a terrific design and I'm envious. However, I do have one clarification wanted, and it's created by the angles of the photos. I'm assuming the final photo shows the smoke/heat tunnel between the firebox and the meat chambers at the left of the photo. Some of the other photos make it look like the firebox is offset to the point that I was wondering about the smoke path.

Nice work, both on the trailer and the photos.

Paul

Thank you very much, Guys.
Yes, Les I made the trailer too.

Hey Paul, sorry to mess up your lazy day but, look on the bright side... you're gonna love those ribs!
I didn't mean to post that last photo, I took that one before I sprayed the rusting metal with rust treatment. I swapped it with the after photo and now its a little too dark to see the detail so,I posted a couple rough drawings to show the design better.

this is called a "reverse flow" style smoker. As you can see in the next to last photo, the door on the firebox has a flap on the bottom edge. This lets you control how much air is allowed into the fire chamber. The firebox is connected to the smoke chamber via a 5" square tube about 8' long. the heat/smoke is controlled with damper #1 its a 1/4" steel plate and attached to the lever you see on the top of the tubing. The dark blue line (it looks almost black in this post) represents the floor of the smoke chamber, which is just a metal sheet that retains most of the heat/smoke until it travels to the far side of the chamber and then flows back towards the stack with damper #2 and on out. Damper #3 is kept closed unless you need to open for temp control. the green dotted lines represent the top & bottom racks. (shelves)

Here is an end view.

This smoker was built without any plans except what I had in my head so, mistakes were made and corrected (mostly) as I went along. At first my friend just wanted a stationary unit for his back yard, then he decided he'd like to be able to have it on wheels so he could move it around if he needed to. that morphed into a trailer. When I first started I wasn't sure what I'd be using for the racks but, I got my hands on a couple of stainless steel shelving racks from work and cut them to fit. I think they will work out real nice. The rack on the inside are the same as the one on the front but they discolor from the heat and smoke. The racks are removable. The lower rack, below the smoker is for hauling wood and what ever. I also built a propane fueled log lighter that you can light and place under the logs to get the fire going good, then you just shut it off and remove it.

I hope that helps

oh, here is a shot of the first smoker I built about 10 years ago.

and one I built with 5/10 slow electrical powered rotating racks (like a ferris wheel ) 44 inch diameter X 6 foot long. sorry for the poor quality pic, this was before Pentax.
wish I never sold this one but...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Dec 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:42 AM   #7

Hey GW, just what I need! Can you make a stationary one for me and e-mail it before New Year?
Seriously, terriffic craftman's work. I'd really love to be your neighbour when the smell of smoke and meat starts spreading.
Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:25 AM   #8

Even more impressive with the design diagrams. I appreciate that because I was trying to figure out the smoke flow.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Hey GW, just what I need! Can you make a stationary one for me and e-mail it before New Year?
Seriously, terriffic craftman's work. I'd really love to be your neighbour when the smell of smoke and meat starts spreading.
Kjell

OK, would you like that in jepeg or tiff?
yeah, the aroma from these cookers is to die for!

Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Even more impressive with the design diagrams. I appreciate that because I was trying to figure out the smoke flow.

Paul
Thank you for the kind complement, Paul.