Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1

Default My Pentax K-x arrived!!

It's purty! That's all I have to say ftm, because I am overwhelmed. Where's that SLR book for total idiots again? I haven't a clue what half these buttons do, but I'll have loads of fun figuring it out!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

congratulations. i am sure you will have a blast figuring out what all those buttons do :P
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:14 AM   #3

Congrats
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
It's purty! That's all I have to say ftm, because I am overwhelmed. Where's that SLR book for total idiots again? I haven't a clue what half these buttons do, but I'll have loads of fun figuring it out!
I think all of us have been where you are now. For many of us, the learning curve went something like this. 1) Read the manual cover-to-cover. 2) Understand about a fourth of what we read. 3) Get out and shoot in the simplest modes, then get out and shoot some more, adding a little in terms of settings as you go. 4) As you meet challenges, go back to the manual and solve them one at a time. 5) Use this forum. There are lots of helpful people who have been down your road and are willing to share things that have worked, and some that have not.

Congratulation on the new camera. We look forward to seeing your photos.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:59 AM   #5

Paul really hit the nail with his post. I think my own advice would be to start out shooting in the auto modes to start out, just to see how the camera itself reacts to different conditions, go back and look at your photos to see what aperture/shutter/iso it chose and then go from there. The manual and forums like this are a great help, I can vouch for that personally. I never shot with an SLR til I got the *ist DL about 3 years ago and I have been learning all the time since. I really didn't feel comfortable shooting in modes like Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority until just before I bought the K20D. Take it at your own pace and enjoy what you are doing. And don't be afraid to post up your results, good or bad, it's the only way you'll get better. I'm still trying to get my sister to post up some of her photos with the *ist DL. Don't be afraid of the comments from other photographers, they are just trying to help you get better. Good luck and can't wait to see your work!
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:28 AM   #6

Way to go! Ask LOTS of questions! There's no such thing as a dumb question, and most of us here (especially me!) have asked them in the past.

As far as books - the manual is OK, but the language is a bit stiff. It is a definite "must-read". It's long on the "how" but short on "why" I thought. So don't be worried about what you don't understand - just ask or skip over it when you first read it.

As far as general photography books - I really like "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson. It talks about depth of field and aperture and gives you reasons for using aperture for getting certain effects.

Post pictures, especially ones that show some question you have (i.e., I messed up this picture big-time and don't know why).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:02 AM   #7

Good to hear. Enjoy your new camera. You'll find the Pentax community here at Steves to be extremely hepful and friendly. So, as Mtngal says - ask questions. If you want critique on a photo, specifically ask for it when you post. Good luck and enjoy!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Good to hear. Enjoy your new camera. You'll find the Pentax community here at Steve's to be extremely helpful and friendly. So, as Mtngal says - ask questions. If you want critique on a photo, specifically ask for it when you post. Good luck and enjoy!
Similar to your situation, I have been using my K200D for just under a year. The switch from film SLR to digital does seem daunting at first but part of the fun is learning as you go. I'm still working my way through the different modes and settings.

As others have said, this site and the Pentax community in particular are a great group of like minded people who can offer assistance as you go along.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
Similar to your situation, I have been using my K200D for just under a year. The switch from film SLR to digital does seem daunting at first but part of the fun is learning as you go. I'm still working my way through the different modes and settings.

As others have said, this site and the Pentax community in particular are a great group of like minded people who can offer assistance as you go along.

Regards
I never really used a film SLR either. I had small point and shoot 35mm and APS cameras. I really liked my APS film camera. I got a lot of good use out of it. It didn't have a lot in the way of user-controlled settings, but it was a fun camera. I wish I knew where I put it! I'd give it to one of the kids to shoot with.

Last edited by dansamy; Dec 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:12 PM   #10

Congrats on the new camera!
I can only reiterate what the others have already said so, go have some fun and be sure to post some pix for us.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote