Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Bluenose

I'm posting this up because my sister is too afraid to herself. She took this shot with the *ist DL I sold her when I upgraded to the K20D. This was from their vacation this year to Nova Scotia. This is the Bluenose II, the famous schooner that is found on the Canadian 10 cent coin. Here it's sailing back into harbor on a foggy day. I guess it's unusual to see it with sails up on a day like this, so I guess she was lucky. I think the shot is great personally, we did a very small amount of cropping to remove a wooden buoy on the right and adjusted exposure a little as it was a shade dark. But otherwise this is pretty close to how it was shot. C&C appreciated. I think my sister is doing a good job with her photographs and some positive reinforcement would help her a lot I think.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:51 AM   #2

The photo makes a transplanted Nova Scotian like myself homesick. I was born just up the Lahave River a short distance from Lunenburg (Bridgewater).

The original schooner was "The Queen of the Atlantic" and won numerous America's Cup races against many vessels out of Gloucester, MA.

The Bluenose II was built in Lunenburg by many of the same shipwrights that worked on the original vessel. Unfortunately the she is getting too old and there are plans for a complete refit/makeover.

The picture in my avatar was taken on board the Bluenose II a few years ago when my wife and I had a chance to go on a harbour cruise out of Lunenburg. Aside from being able to get on board and go for a sail, a young couple from Hamilton, Ontario were married while we were under sail. They arranged for a local minister to perform the ceremony - I'm not sure if the Captain could have done it or not.

Thanks for posting. It was nice to see a bit of home.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:16 PM   #3

Very nice shot Mike!
Your sister has the makings of a good photographer.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:28 PM   #4

That's a beautiful shot - she should be very proud of it. I'd have that printed and on the wall if it were mine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:13 PM   #5

VERY nice! I love the reflection. Great job
jennlynn130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:44 PM   #6

great shot - was it taken from the shore or did you have to get out on the water yourself?

they sure do pack them in tight on board though =) standing room only!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
The photo makes a transplanted Nova Scotian like myself homesick. I was born just up the Lahave River a short distance from Lunenburg (Bridgewater).

The original schooner was "The Queen of the Atlantic" and won numerous America's Cup races against many vessels out of Gloucester, MA.

The Bluenose II was built in Lunenburg by many of the same shipwrights that worked on the original vessel. Unfortunately the she is getting too old and there are plans for a complete refit/makeover.

The picture in my avatar was taken on board the Bluenose II a few years ago when my wife and I had a chance to go on a harbour cruise out of Lunenburg. Aside from being able to get on board and go for a sail, a young couple from Hamilton, Ontario were married while we were under sail. They arranged for a local minister to perform the ceremony - I'm not sure if the Captain could have done it or not.

Thanks for posting. It was nice to see a bit of home.

Regards
Very cool story, glad that this photo could bring back the memories. I'm sure my sister will like to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Very nice shot Mike!
Your sister has the makings of a good photographer.
That's what I keep telling her. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
That's a beautiful shot - she should be very proud of it. I'd have that printed and on the wall if it were mine.
She actually had a print framed and gave it to her in-laws. I do agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlynn130 View Post
VERY nice! I love the reflection. Great job
I think the reflection is my favorite part as well. Thank you for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
great shot - was it taken from the shore or did you have to get out on the water yourself?

they sure do pack them in tight on board though =) standing room only!!
I'd have to ask my sister. I would imagine they were onshore or on a dock/jetty. It does look very crowded for sure. Thanks for the response.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:18 PM   #8

Nice shot, you don't often see boats under sail with a nice reflection like that. Calm water = good reflections = no wind, I sail the great lakes and do a bit of racing and some shooting when things aren't to hectic. I haven't had the Pentax out on a race yet, I mostly use my P&S for that.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:26 PM   #9

Hi Mike,

I think this is a very good shot. I like the clarity of the ship against the fog shrouded background. It really makes the ship pop!

From the quality of this shot and the other reactions posted, I don't think that your sister has anything to worry about posting here.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:01 PM   #10

Great picture of a beautiful ship. Like Harriet said if it were mine it would be framed and hanging on my wall.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote