Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:54 PM   #1

Default Question on in-camera NR

I've got a K100d-Super and was wondering what trips the in-camera noise reduction algorithyms. Is it a shutter speed threshold, is it an ISO setting, or maybe a metering decision made by the camera ? Thx.
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:03 PM   #2

Hi AZK6er,

Welcome to the forum! Tell us where you're from (until then, I'll assume Arizona), and post some pics!

The only NR that can be changed on the K100DS is the Dark Frame Subtraction for long exposures (either on or off), so it would be triggered by shutter speed. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the threshold is, but some more experienced with this model might be able to chime in.

Fortunately, the IQ of the 6mp sensor in this model doesn't suffer that much from noise, so high ISO NR adjustability, though it would be nice, isn't that critical.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:13 PM   #3

Hey snostorm, Thx for gettin back to me so quick.
I was in AZ when I first registered but now am located up here in Beautiful South-East Minnesota, it's just a bit different than I'm used to.
"Dark Frame Subtraction for long exposures", well, that seems to say it all now that I think about it. I have some reading to do about posting pictures, then I'll try a couple. As you can see I've been here for awhile, in the background reading ya'lls posts and try'in to learn without asking Noob questions. I'm gett'in there, slowly but surely. This is a super site and I've spent countless hours on here. Thanks again snostorm.

'
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:17 PM   #4

Welcome, AZK6er. Feel free to ask questions. We've all asked what we thought were stupid questions, but there's always someone out there who learns from it having not asked the question themselves. No question is a stupid one and this is one of the friendliest groups around to get your answers.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:50 AM   #5

Thanks Patty
I know that the only "stupid question" is the one thats Not asked, but, I'm still having fun AND learning while I go along (so far I'm at page 45 in this thread 'Pentax/Samsung DSLR'). Nothing else really to do but read up on one of my Favorite hobbies since it's 1:45 am and 22 snow covered degrees outside. This Arizona boy hasn't got used to Minnesota heat yet, so I'll read what all you nice people have left behind for me to learn.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:47 AM   #6

LOL! Your question was actually a good one - I don't have my K100 manual here and didn't know the answer. I can't tell you how many times I've learned something new because someone asked a question and I looked up the answer to make sure I had it right, only to find out something new.

Just think of the Minnesota snow as a new experience. And snow is actually fun to play in. You can always add another layer of clothes. Of course, it's not always warm in Arizona either - I was glad I had tossed in my down jacket when we were in Sedona a few weeks ago.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:57 AM   #7

I know what u mean mtngal, I need to go back into my manual again as it has been a few years since I've done that (I did that when I first got my K100 Super, Oct, 2006). I don't know if I should start a new thread for this or not, but, I have been reading your post of April 12, 2009 (Tiny water drops) and have a question for you on Macro shooting.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:59 AM   #8

Start a new thread, there are a number of people here who shoot macro and you'll get more responses with it indicated in your subject title. Macro is one of my favorite things to do with a camera (though I haven't done much recently), so ask away!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote