Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:53 AM   #1

Default Need Advice

Do to back problems I have been restricted to working out of my house, and I've been toying with the idea of doing tent product photography out of my home. Has anyone here done this sort of thing successfully, and if so can you give me any tips on getting started? Is it profitable? I do 3d product work currently, but with the economy the way it is, I have lost a lot of business do to the sheer expense of doing business. 3d costs alot. I thought tent photography would be a good option given my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:54 AM   #2

I'm pretty much strictly a landscape/macro photographer. I've thought about rigging up some sort of home-made tent and trying product photography (something I've found very frustrating so far), just to figure out the technique. I've seen something somewhere on the 'net where a person used a box for the frame of the tent, then a sheet (various colored sheets give different effects) for the tent, and a couple of table lamps for lighting. Looked like something I could manage without spending any money and that might be fun to try out. Only problem is that I never have any time!

Good luck with it, and I hope someone who's done this can offer you some tips.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm pretty much strictly a landscape/macro photographer. I've thought about rigging up some sort of home-made tent and trying product photography (something I've found very frustrating so far), just to figure out the technique. I've seen something somewhere on the 'net where a person used a box for the frame of the tent, then a sheet (various colored sheets give different effects) for the tent, and a couple of table lamps for lighting. Looked like something I could manage without spending any money and that might be fun to try out. Only problem is that I never have any time!

Good luck with it, and I hope someone who's done this can offer you some tips.
Thanks. I have no problem spending the money on the tent and lights, I just need info on the business itself. Is it profitable, how does one go about getting clients, how much does one charge per Image? That sort of thing.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:21 PM   #4

It sounds like a good Idea Tony. If you have any luck finding out anything on it I'd be interested in hearing about it. I don't even know where to on the subject besides doing an online search.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
It sounds like a good Idea Tony. If you have any luck finding out anything on it I'd be interested in hearing about it. I don't even know where to on the subject besides doing an online search.
Thanks. I'll keep you informed. I really love me new Pentax K7. Great little camera.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:39 PM   #6

Tony - can't provide any advice, but sure do hope & pray that this works out for you.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:50 PM   #7

As a dedicated Pentaxian and back sufferer who uses a light tent for close-ups, I have some first hand experience to offer. I can't give you advice on the market as I do not sell photos (at least I haven't yet), but I can tell you what works best for me equipment-wise, and unfortunately, it is not Pentax. To avoid back straining contortions in front of the tent, a fold out view screen is a great boon. You could use a right angle finder, but that still requires hunching and bending. Sony's superior implementation of live view (widely considered the best in the industry) makes this arrangement eminently workable. I have most recently been using a Sony a350 and have just gotten an a550, which, while still not a K7 has several improvements over the 350, including an extremely high resolution LCD view screen. Out of curiosity I had also added an inexpensive O-Flash (a poor man's ring flash adapter) to my Sigma EF 500 DG Super), which was a surprise, in that it seem to work quite nicely. In the attached image you can see from the reflections in the prism that the light output does not look to be uniform around the ring, but it is not noticeable in the photos, so may be an artifact of reflections from the curved surfaces of the Amici prism. Maybe Pentax will add a fold out view screen to their next models (with my timing, it might be announced at the 7 January Las Vegas Expo ). Some (handheld and overprocessed) quickie shots of the a350 setup and the sample image follow:
Name:  IMGP0068r1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  51.7 KB
Name:  IMGP0073r.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  DSC00636rx.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  27.3 KB

Last edited by penolta; Dec 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:21 PM   #8

Wow very cool setup. How much was that flash unit.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Wow very cool setup. How much was that flash unit.
The O-Flash attachment (not the Sigma flash itself) was $42 post paid from South Korea. There are several sizes available, depending on the height of your existing flash unit. Several members of this Forum have bought and used these.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote