Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:27 PM   #11

Jim - I suspected that would happen when Sony came out with the A200 and especially the A700. We saw the same thing happen with the Pentax lenses and now it's hard to find any reasonably priced top-quality lenses. Oh, how I wish I had taken more advantage of the early days!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:33 AM   #12
Administrator

I actually took a hard look at Pentax before deciding to go with a Konica Minolta body.

But, when I started checking vendors of used gear to get an idea of lens prices and available with other brands, there was very little to choose from for Pentax bodies (if you wanted Autofocus lenses). Lots of MF lenses that would work, very few Autofocus lenses.

In contrast, there were a *lot* of Minolta Autofocus Lenses in the market at great prices (typically, you'd see *more* Minolta AF lenses than you would Autofocus lenses for Canon and Nikon if you looked through the listings at vendors like keh.com)

Until recently, that was still the case (more listings for Minolta AF mount lenses, compared to Autofocus Lenses for Canon and Nikon). But, now that Sony is started to ship a *lot* more cameras, that's probably not the case anymore (although I haven't looked at the lists more carefully lately to compare the number of lenses in various mounts at popular vendors).

The last financials I looked at stated that Sony had tripled their dSLR production during their last fiscal year (ending March 31, 2009) as compared to the previous fiscal year. So, there are a lot of new Sony owners looking for lenses now. As a result, prices sure have increased on higher quality lenses, as compared to a few years back. Supply and Demand. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Administrator

On the "flip side", I am starting to see more supply with some lenses that were harder to find a while back, because of newer lenses being released by Sony and third party manufacturers that are equivalent or better. I suspect that trend will continue as Sony continues to fill in gaps in it's lens lineup (and more lenses from third party manufacturers hit the market).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:11 PM   #14

Yesterday I got my K7 body ! I had thought buying mail-order from the USA and shipping to HK would have been the cheapest way to go but after calling Primo Cameras (US$879+transport - but when I called they said out of stock) I went to a massive camera mall here (Shanghai) and found everything from Leicas to Hasselblads, Pentax 645s and even Seagulls !

I bought the K7 for around US$900 (body only - inc. tax rebate) which I thought was a good deal. So the FA43 Ltd has had it's first taste of life on the K7 but unfortunately they only had the Sigma 17 - 70 in Nikon mount and said the Pentax mount was very hard to get hold of

I'll try to get one in HK at the weekend (ostensibly it's the wife & daughter's shopping trip but I'm sure I'll find something too) !

Now I've just got to figure out how to get into the right menu page to find what I want !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:43 PM   #15

Congratulations on your new equipment! Will look forward to seeing your great photos!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Congratulations on your new equipment! Will look forward to seeing your great photos!!
Thank you Mole !
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:55 PM   #17

Well you're all set now. Lets start seeing some pix!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:09 PM   #18

sorry, dbl post

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:38 PM   #19

Way to go! Have fun reading the manual, and when you end up saying "huh???!!!!" just ask here. Most of the time someone here has figured it out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:16 AM   #20

Thank you GW & Mtngal !

The manual is actually in Chinese so you're right ..... it's not much help at all !

However anything and everything to do with Pentax manuals / drivers / firmware is here : http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/Photo_Downloads.html and so I've downloaded the pdf.

I tried again to get the Sigma 17 - 70 today but no-one seems to have it. We're off to HK for a few days so I pray they have it there. The Sigma 105mm macro was in stock though ($395) - no I didn't buy it yet, I want to live past this weekend !

Hopefully I've figured out the best bits and can bring back some decent photos of HK.

I do have one question though (OK two) .... how do I check if I've got the latest version of the firmware ? And if I haven't is it a necessary update ?

Last edited by Frogfish; Jan 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM.