Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:20 PM   #1

Default Got The Lens ... Now Need A Body !

So the decision to buy the K7 instead of the D90 has been made and reinforced ...... I picked up a used FA 43mm 1.9 Limited today at a great price so no going back now

I've read so many great things about this lens I can't wait to get it on the K7 .... unfortunately I thought I could buy the K7 in Hong Kong in a couple of weeks time but I've yet to find it even close to the US price (now under $1,000) ! So now I'm going to have to wait until one of my American friends has another trip home.

Planning to add the Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8 as my walkabout and Tamron 60mm f2 macro to complete my set-up.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:57 PM   #2

I'm usually the one who does things backwards... didn't know other people had the same problem!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:18 PM   #3

Well, lenses are always more important than the camera. So getting a great deal on one of the limited lenses right now, before camera, isn't such a bad deal. You might want to try picking up a used K100 or something like that to tide you over until you get the K-7. I'm not about to part with my K100, even though I also own a K20 and K-7.

Welcome to the Pentaxian world!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks Mtngal ! I almost became a Pentaxian a couple of years ago with the K20 but held off as there is always some feature I desire missing it seems - this time I wanted an articulated LCD but the K7 seems to have everything else and I'm pulling the trigger ...... and the lens was just too good to miss at $235. Fate !

Seems we are two of a pair Goldwinger ! I know what I want this time around, have 90% decided on the lenses (I am into Portraits, Macro, Landscapes and Underwater) and am just waiting to pick up the body at the price I want (no more than 1k).
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:35 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to the forum!

From personal experience I can attenst to the fact that good lenses hold their value; bodies on the other hand depreciate rapidly. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:51 PM   #6

Welcome! Sounds like a fine approach to me - good lenses are much harder to find than good cameras. Will look forward to seeing your photos soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:56 PM   #7

Hi Frogfish,

Congrats on being the first recorded case of Pre-Body Acquisition Lens Buying Addiction (PBALBA), or would that be Reverse LBA (ABL?). I'll go with the second, since it's a doubly fitting acronym (Already Bought Lens).

Seriously, Congrats on the lens -- at least it's a LTD, and you can appreciate the build quality and anticipate how great it will work with your soon-to-be-yours K-7. . .

This should be a great lens for your purposes. Looking forward to some pics. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:33 PM   #8

Thank you Jelpee, Mole & Snostorm (Ha Ha ! ABL would be correct it seems).

Yes I take the FA43mm out and lovingly caress it, admiring all it's fine lines, before gently putting it back into it's box each night. A thing of beauty indeed. Now if only I could actually use it for it's intended purpose !

As you can see I've been in the background here for a while but this time I intend to stick around and will put up some pictures from the K7 once it has found its way home.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:14 PM   #9

Default How to attach an SLR lens to your cameraphone...

Maybe you could try this with the FA 43 and your cell phone...

http://cow.mooh.org/2009/12/phone-o-...m_medium=email

It might hold you over for a while.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:20 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I'm usually the one who does things backwards... didn't know other people had the same problem!
I did the same thing.

I started buying Minolta Autofocus lenses before I had a Konica Minolta dSLR body to use them on, even though most of my existing film gear was Nikon.

The 7D was already out, and KM was getting ready to launch the 5D at the time. So, I figured that the price of Minolta Autofocus lenses would increase as they started shipping more camera bodies, and decided to start buying lenses first to avoid the price hikes while waiting on the 5D to ship (so I could decide between the 5D and 7D).

Because Konica Minolta was the "new kid on the block" with their dSLR lineup (as compared to manufacturers like Nikon and Canon), Minolta Autofocus lenses at great prices were more plentiful in the used market.

That was a good strategy, except that I should have bought *more* lenses before KM (and now Sony) started "gathering steam", since some of the lenses i have would sell for 2 or 3 times what I paid for them, thanks to more users looking for lenses in this mount (especially with the number of bodies Sony is shipping that use it) :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote