Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:29 PM   #1

Default Butterfly Photography

Several times when I have posted butterfly pictures, one or more viewers have complained of difficulty in finding the butterflies and/or getting decent images of them.

A new book out this year may be of help to those seriously interested in this type of close-up photography. It is the Butterfly Photographer's Handbook by William B. Folsom. The book is divided into two sections - the first about the butterflies themselves and how to find, attract, and approach them; the second is a primer for outdoor close-up photography, illustrated exclusively with the butterflies. It is profusely illustrated in color, although not every one of the photographs measures up to the quality of some of those posted by contributors to these forums. Whether the book is a worthwhile purchase for someone depends on their degree of interest and level of skill - it is best for those who are beginners in both areas, but can be of help to those experienced photographers who are feel themselves "clueless" about the insects. You can get a preview of its contents on the Barnes and Noble web site, which has a feature that lets you page through some of the book (more if you are a member).

Name:  IMGP0077r.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  59.5 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:36 PM   #2

Pen, thanks very much for posting this. My wife is a very frustrated butterfly photographer. Christmas is over, but I think I know what I'm giving her for Valentine's Day!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Pen, thanks very much for posting this. My wife is a very frustrated butterfly photographer. Christmas is over, but I think I know what I'm giving her for Valentine's Day!
That's nice. Glad to have been of help.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:26 PM   #4

Hmmm, we got a B&N gift certificate for Christmas. This might just be a purchase for us. People tell me there are butterflies around here, but I never see any. I could probably benefit from that first section for sure.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:50 PM   #5

Looks quite useful. Thanks for passing on the information!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up Pen, I'm going to check this one out.

I find your comment on the quality of some of the images, interesting. I too have noticed that in a lot of books and field guides that the photography doesn't seem up to par. As a printer, I'm aware of problems that can arise in printing that might affect the image quality although you'd expect a publisher to be able to do a top notch job. Makes me wonder if some of these are being self published by the author rather than a publishing house. Just a curiosity on my part.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote