Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:54 AM   #11

Simon - cropping the shot to be a vertical with the cliffs and fence is a neat idea - I'll have to try that. There's no gate, I think you are seeing a newer fence post. That would be easy to colorize. This scene is much more interesting in the autumn - the trees would have lots of color. But they are very drab in winter when bare of leaves. The cliffs are important to the picture, the fence is incidental.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:20 AM   #12

Hi Harriet,
I'de be interested in your opinion of the cropped shot, yes I can see the new posts as they are now, thanks.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:53 AM   #13

I like the first one, the effect added the needed depth and mood to the image that the existing lighting couldn't,
Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:09 PM   #14

I wasn't familiar with the Orton effect either - it may not be my cup of tea, or perhaps it is just not applicable to all types of images. I hate to start off the new year with a negative comment, as I am a great fan of Harriet's work, but feedback was requested, and I find these images - especially the first one - visually uncomfortable. The effect is not even across the frame - my eyes just cannot decide which portions are in focus and which are not.

In any event, I found a short PSE tutorial which may be of interest to those who are interested in playing around with these effects. The examples in the tutorial are of simpler subjects, which may lend themselves better to the technique. The mood created in the graveyard scene is particularly effective.

http://pcin.net/update/2006/11/01/th...p-of-the-week/
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:27 PM   #15

I think I'll just give up on these. I'll keep the effect in mind as I've seen some cool pictures using it - but these pictures don't work.

Thanks for all your feedback.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:07 PM   #16

I'm coming in a little late on this. But, you asked for opinions. I'm not a major fan of changing images, but this effect does look like it could be cool. But, I think your images need less in them to be effective for this effect. Just a simple few items with selective processing I think would be better. It's hard for me to focus on any part of the image and is distracting to me.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:44 PM   #17

Just adding my 2 cents - have played a bit with Orton effect, and usually don't like it... But these are interesting - not up to your usual amazing quality, but certainly made more interesting by your PP work. Sure hope you get to visit this area again soon, with better photographing conditions!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote