Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:45 PM   #1

Default old external flash problem

i got this flash as a gift ages ago when i was still shooting film but never really did use flash much back then so never really learned anything about it

recently i picked up a new flash for my k7 as i wasn't sure if they one would fry the electronics of my camera and well p-ttl handles it all now so never learnt anything about flashes this time round either...

anyway to my present situation i have this old flash i wish to use off camera with my other flash using wireless triggers - my new flash its pretty simple to put into manual mode then dial up full, 1/2, 1/4 power etc etc - but i have no idea how to adjust the power on the old one and long since lost the manual - i have attached an image so you can see what controls i've got to work with

if anyone knows what combinations are going to result in full power, half power etc that would be great!!
Attached Images

Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:35 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Does not look like an adjustment is possible based on the controls shown on the back. The stiwches for the ISO and the focal length look like they just move the scales for the distance and aperture readouts.

My thoughts are to use some layers of tissue paper or other translucent material and do some trial and error exercises to guage the output. With digital you can check the results as you go along.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:44 PM   #3

switches on the back do nothign but move the scales? damn thats annoying figured they would adjust the pwoer level or something for certain settings =( - think i will just have to consider this one always at 100% and just move it out further when i want a reduced effect - simpler than trying to wrap it up in tissue paper =)

thanks for your help though
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:02 PM   #4

John, I agree with Jelpee; it looks likely that this flash puts out one level of light -- full blast. But, on the off chance that's not the case, have you tried googling to see if there might be a manual on line? It's worth a shot.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:05 PM   #5

Based on the auto light, it looks like this flash operates in automatic mode. This means that there should have a thyristor at the front of the unit to cutoff the flash once enough light has been detected. I don't see any manual controls (which would be indicated with ratios like 1/2, 1/4, etc), so it does not appear that you can directly control the output of this flash.

I would definitely not put this flash on the hotshoe without first measuring the trigger voltage. To be absolutely safe, I would use a wireless trigger like you said.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6

This appears to be a TTL type flash for use with film SLR. Once you set the film speed and focal length, the flash power is determined by the camera. I believe that you are correct in assuming that it will only operate at full power when used as a slave.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote