Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:00 AM   #11

You put that camera to good use Mole!
Really great pix. I love the birch tree shot, and the smiley face gave me a chuckle. What made the tracks in post #2?
The area sounds familiar although it looks different that it did when we were there. is that anywhere near here or am I confused?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:04 AM   #12

Harriet - Thanks for the detailed and specific comments - a big help! We have a number of fire towers in our region that are accessible to the public, none still used for fire spotting. Can you go up the one that you pass each day?

Eddy - Our region is finally recovering from several years of drought (as is your region too I hope). Nearly all the waterfalls are running quite well these days. Did you hike on up past the falls? Some fine ancient forests with really big trees only about a mile or so beyond the falls - and of course only 4 miles up to the tower...

GW - Glad you liked them! One of my daughters is the "artist" for the smiley face (I assume your track question is for the other post with the ice storm...). To answer your other question - Cove Mountain is in the Smokies. The trail begins near the Sugarlands Visitors Center and goes up the mountain right at the park boundary, overlooking Wears Valley. This is not the same as Cades Cove, another beautiful part of the park that is maybe 15-20 miles west of the start of the trail. Your photo looks like it might have been taken in Townsend. If so, you probably drove through Wears Valley, and saw Cove Mountain to your left.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Super Moderator

nice set again mole. i particularly love the waterfall!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:06 PM   #14

Lovely shots mole, as always. I enjoy traveling through the Smoky Mountain National Park when we head to NE GA for vacation each year. Someday, I'd like to stop and find some trails to get "lost" on for a few hours.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:39 PM   #15

GW - Glad you liked them! One of my daughters is the "artist" for the smiley face (I assume your track question is for the other post with the ice storm...). To answer your other question - Cove Mountain is in the Smokies. The trail begins near the Sugarlands Visitors Center and goes up the mountain right at the park boundary, overlooking Wears Valley. This is not the same as Cades Cove, another beautiful part of the park that is maybe 15-20 miles west of the start of the trail. Your photo looks like it might have been taken in Townsend. If so, you probably drove through Wears Valley, and saw Cove Mountain to your left.[/QUOTE]

Boy!... I don't know what happened but somehow I got my reply's mixed up and posted wrong... sorry, sure glad you figured it out!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Eddy - Our region is finally recovering from several years of drought (as is your region too I hope). Nearly all the waterfalls are running quite well these days. Did you hike on up past the falls? Some fine ancient forests with really big trees only about a mile or so beyond the falls - and of course only 4 miles up to the tower...

Unfortunately, with my leg and knee problems, it was all I could do to make it up to the Falls. and back. Same with Grotto Falls.

Yes, the drought, for now, has ended. We ended 2009 at +12 from normal. Hopefully, we'll all continue to have good rainfall and I'll be able to see those beautful falls with some real water flow.

As you can see, the last time we were there, Laurel Falls was at just a trickle.
Attached Images

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:52 AM   #17

Dustin - Thanks for the kind words. I do enjoy waterfalls - and am blessed to have many nearby.

Billy - Thanks! If you need any suggestions for trails to wander, just let me know.

GW - I guess it takes one "old coot" to figure out another...

Eddy - Sorry to hear about your leg & knee difficulties, but glad you were able to make it to the falls. Also glad to hear that the drought is over in your area too.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:08 AM   #18

Quite a variety of pictures. The falls as usual are well done. The picture in post #2 has great drama and I like it a lot.

The close ups of the Ice drops are great. Looks like no wind blowing to allow such nice close ups.

I like the picture of the trees without the Orton effect better. I find the effect giving my eye more blurred areas to travel to causing more distraction for me in viewing the image (JMO).

All in all a nice series!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:55 AM   #19

Another great series Mole.

In addition to being blessed with waterfalls (11+ miles! YIKES) as well as many other subjects, you're also blessed with talent!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:42 PM   #20

Lou - Thanks for the input on the Orton effect. Thanks also for all your kind & complimentary words!

Gina - Thanks! Actually it was a very easy 12 1/2 mile hike - gradual uphill for the first 8.7 miles, and then a bit steeper downhill for the last 4. And you can get to the waterfall the easier way, just a 1.5 mile hike up a (mostly) paved trail!