Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:49 AM   #11

Noiseware free edition. It has various levels of reduction, but be aware that it strips EXIF information out of the photo.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:07 PM   #12

pboerger, Thank you, tween Noiseware and NeatImage I'll see which one fits me the best. (I thought you were using the term "Noiseware" as a generic reference, not knowing that it was a Brand Name)
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:41 PM   #13

I've tried neat image and really liked it (should have bought a mac license when I switched platforms). I've also used Noise Ninja and couldn't get along with it. I've seen other people get good results from it, but I never managed to figure it out. I'm now using Topaz Lab's DeNoise and like it the best of what I've tried. It's not free and it's only a Photoshop plug-in, but I get along with it and like the results. You can download a free trial to see what it's like also.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:43 PM   #14

I also use Topaz depending on the noise. Both are valuable.

Last edited by pboerger; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Error
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
However, when you make as statement like "isn't this amazing" then you are asking us to evaluate the image quality at a technical level. therefore, also attaching a 100% crop would also be useful.
dustin
Yes, everything looks great that size However, there are tons of Kx samples available on the web (such as Imaging-Resources). Kx performs just as well as other cameras with the Sony's 12 MP CMOS sensor (D90, D5000, A500, A700, D300, D300s). It's well known to be among the best for high ISO for at least 2 years (since D300 in 2007)
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
Yes, everything looks great that size However, there are tons of Kx samples available on the web (such as Imaging-Resources). Kx performs just as well as other cameras with the Sony's 12 MP CMOS sensor (D90, D5000, A500, A700, D300, D300s). It's well known to be among the best for high ISO for at least 2 years (since D300 in 2007)
i didn't say it wasn't a good performer, it is a very good performer at high iso. right now it is the best high iso performer in its class.

but this is at iso 12800!!, and posting some very small webpic and saying its great without showing the real story can be misleading for those that aren't aware of this. i just want ppl to be informed that iso 12800 is not going to look good on anything above this size picture and it really is just an emergency setting if there is no other way to get a pic, and you only want to present it as a web-image. i just don't want ppl take a look at this, set their camera to 12800 and then be disappointed.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:14 PM   #17

I have heard people claim that Kx is the best high iso performer in its class, but looking at Imaging-resource photos titled "still-life," I would say there is no evidence for that assertion. I don't see an iota of better performance by Kx than A500, and overall D90 and D5000 have best jpegs (look at the red fabric at ISO 1600).
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Super Moderator

i disagree. i prefer the detail retention of the k-x over the nikons more aggressive noise reduction.

see
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page15.asp
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:46 PM   #19
Super Moderator

to be fair, the real world difference between the pentax, canon, and nikon is almost nothing. you would have to print HUGE to see any difference at all.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i disagree. i prefer the detail retention of the k-x over the nikons more aggressive noise reduction.

see
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page15.asp
That's one example with one small stamp image on one site. Look at IR images and Kx has identical performance to Sony A500 (both better than Canon). But D90 and D5000 do better with default jpeg

(the following were posted to DPR forum but these are 100% IR images).

ISO 1600 Left D90, right Kx

ISO 6400 Left D90, right Kx

ISO 6400 Left D90, right Kx

Last edited by oneguy; Jan 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM.