Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:55 AM   #1

Default Kx at ISO 12800

Out shooting New Year's Eve events and had to try ISO 12800 on the Kx. Shot with Vivitar manual 24mm f2.8. Pass through default Noiseware and sharpening. Am I nuts or is this amazing?
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The Kx has been reported to be very capable at high ISO, however it is impossible to tell image quality at this sort of size. Would be great to see the a 100% crop of the original pre editing.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:17 PM   #3

My shots are for newspaper publication and 100 percent would be almost twice the size of the entire paper itself and is therefore meaningless for my uses. All published pictures are processed. I have never really understood "100 percent and no PP." Anyway, my editor is very pleased to have such great low light shots. With the higher shutter speeds possible with high ISO, there is no ghosting for movement such as the hands on the guitar player, or dancers or actors. The Kx have moved what I do to a new and far better level.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:22 PM   #4

I'd say for 12800 ISO that its pretty amazing.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:53 PM   #5

I'm gonna have a ball with the higher ISO at Disney come Mardi Gras. I think I am gonna order a faster lens for the dark rides, but the high ISO should help as well.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:17 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
My shots are for newspaper publication and 100 percent would be almost twice the size of the entire paper itself and is therefore meaningless for my uses. All published pictures are processed. I have never really understood "100 percent and no PP." Anyway, my editor is very pleased to have such great low light shots. With the higher shutter speeds possible with high ISO, there is no ghosting for movement such as the hands on the guitar player, or dancers or actors. The Kx have moved what I do to a new and far better level.
The reason I ask how it is performing at 100% is to be able to answer your initial question "Am I nuts or is this amazing?" as it can't be discovered from a web shot. This will give a bit more information Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality

I'm sure we have members who are interested in the Kx and getting real world examples from someone shooting with one in extreme conditions is very helpful.

I agree that for news print we can get away with lower grade shots than for other forms of printing, I would often submit sports photos for the papers that I would never offer for sale in other ways as the action was key and it didn't matter if there was a bit of motion blur or slight softness. I'm not saying this is the situation with your shot just following on from what you stated.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:00 PM   #7

pboerger, What kind of noiseware are you running, that looks good at 12800. My K100 Super can't count that high, but I could use some good noiseware. Thanks.
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:12 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I would just like to echo what Mark has already said. Pretty much anything can look amazing at 800x600. If you are just looking to share a photo, then a resized image is fine. and I am glad that the K-x is working amazingly for your newspaper shots.

However, when you make as statement like "isn't this amazing" then you are asking us to evaluate the image quality at a technical level. therefore, also attaching a 100% crop would also be useful.

keep in mind many people come to these boards trying to decide what camera they want to spend their hard earned money on, this helps them make an informed decision.

thank you.
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZK6er View Post
pboerger, What kind of noiseware are you running, that looks good at 12800. My K100 Super can't count that high, but I could use some good noiseware. Thanks.

I don't mean to barge in here as I'm sure he will answer you there as well but I use the free trial version of NeatImage for my photos. http://www.neatimage.com/
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:20 AM   #10

Thanks bigdawg, the free version of neatimage is what I use also, but I read so much about Noise Ninja and some others I thought maybe neatimage had been surpassed by bigger and better. Heck, if your using it then I guess I'll just stay pat. Thanks bigdawg.
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote