Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:00 PM   #11

yeah but you wanna see it as it is then you can adjust the camera to do what you want rather than getting shown what the live view screen wants to show as it will adjust the exposure by itself - bright scenes will show to dark and vice versa - horrible!!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:21 PM   #12

Properly set, the EVF will show you the exposure as it will appear on the sensor. Even when not set that way, you can have a live superimposed histogram to give you exposure info more detailed than the metering info available in optical VF.
The drawbacks so far have been poor low light autofocus, and EVFs which can't keep up with faster motion.
I'll drop my SLR like a hot potato when the the right EVIL camera comes along.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:26 PM   #13
Super Moderator

yes, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

i would just like to have 1 of each
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:36 AM   #14

I won't say that I'd never get an EVIL, but it will be several generations before I'd even consider one seriously, I would think. For me, lag time is the problem. Even if the speed can be improved greatly, it still won't be real time like an optical viewfinder, since some processing must be done to send an image to the EVF.

It'll probably be great for those who shoot stationary subjects or HD video, but any lag really makes it difficult to shoot something that is either moving or might move in an unpredictable manner -- which is just about everything I like to shoot. I can work around just about anything, but I've not figured out how to work around VF lag. It will be interesting to see where this goes, but this type of camera's operation really doesn't match my current interests and style.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:20 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Properly set, the EVF will show you the exposure as it will appear on the sensor.
Not necessarily. The algorithms they use are designed to closely approximate what you'll see.

But, the problem is that with an EVF design, the camera is reading and resetting the main imaging sensor at a speed that makes it easy to see your subjects (i.e., it's freshing at x frames per second, which is not going to be what the camera actually uses for the photo you take).

With most cameras using an EVF, the camera will also slow down the frame rate in lower light and/or boost the signal from the sensor at the same time, which can give the appearance of higher noise levels (since that technique is using the same principle as increasing ISO speed), which impacts what you're seeing for Dynamic Range and noise levels in the EVF.

Otherwise, in lower light, you'd end up with a black display if the camera was trying to do something like reset and reread the sensor at 60 fps using the equivalent of a lower ISO speed setting for gain from it's signal, because the sensor wouldn't get enough light between frames to provide a properly exposed image to the EVF)

Now, some cameras are pretty good at approximating how the actual exposure will look in most conditions. But, you're still seeing something different than the actual exposure you'll take (because the actual exposure is going to be using a different shutter speed, aperture and ISO speed; as compared to the speed the camera is using for refreshing the EVF from the sensor, gain it's using from the sensor, etc.).

Minolta used to have a pretty good implementation in all but lower light levels (where you could more or less tell how highlights, etc. would be impacted by the EVF). But, it's still not what the actual exposure is seeing from the sensor.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:29 PM   #16

I was thinking of my D7hi, which can be set to not go into the 'gain-up' mode in low-light. It will show a black display if the light is low enough in that setting.

Even in the gain-up mode, though, the gain increase is keyed to exposure settings and shows a pretty good indication of what overall exposure will be, though it switches to monochrome in low light. Combined with live histogram, I have excellent WYSIWYG exposure control. If it had interchangeable lenses and larger sensor, it would be just about ideal.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:49 PM   #17

price (with 18-55) in Germany € 649 ---> http://samsung.de/de/Privatkunden/Fo...DE/detail.aspx
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:56 AM   #18

nice review

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_review&no=160 <-----
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:01 PM   #19

Samsung (Germany) raised price of NX10 from 649 € to 699 € :-(

NX10 pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/1198307...7623170206295/

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:19 AM   #20

Default Impressive too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
that's impressive.
I am impressed too by watching the short video. Cameras having such OLED should be more durable.
pass is offline   Reply With Quote