Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve

I'll post the link to both albums and thumbnails to some of the pictures.

Albums:

Christmas Eve 2009
New Year's Eve 2009
I like this picture of Opa and my youngest son:

Opa and my eldest son:

My daughter:

I know my husband's knee is in the corner of this pic, but my issue with this pic was the yellow color of the lighting. I was using just the AWB. I'm sure I should have adjusted it somehow, but I'm not certain as to what would fix it. If it helps at all, my sister's Canon SX20IS got the same color cast with it also being on AWB.

Coming up in the next post: New Year's Eve and a pyromaniac's dream!

Last edited by dansamy; Jan 5, 2010 at 4:02 AM.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:09 AM   #2

My favorties of the New Year's Eve shots:

I've got a few more decent shots of the shell breaks in the album, but I posted a couple of the ones I think are the best.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:15 PM   #3

Hello, Dansamy.
You have a lovely family.
others here can probably tell better what happened here but my guess is perhaps a mixture of lighting temperatures, like normal tungsten home lighting and the new energy saving fluorescent type. It can cause a real headache. if I remember correctly you, you have a K-7? It would make it much easier on yourself to shoot in RAW and don't worry about the white balance, you can always make changes in post processing if you need to without causing any loss in IQ. I did just a quick color adjustment in your last shot to show you what can be done. if I had the original file in Raw format, I could do a lot more.

There is nothing you can do with the blown highlights in PP but, using fill flash to start with would have helped tremendously.
Hope this helps.

PS. keep in mind, my monitor isn't calibrated so what looks good on mine may not on others. This wasn't meant to be a perfect edit, just showing what can be done.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jan 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:13 PM   #4

I think you might be right on the different types of bulbs. I know my mother all too well. There's probably CFLs in that ceiling fan. And regular bulbs in that floor lamp.

Your edit does make it look a lot better. I'll admit that I am a little bit scared of RAW. Also, the K-x, which is what I have, has two formats for RAW. And I haven't a clue as to the difference between them.

I have a lot of learning to do. Overall, I am liking the pictures I am getting compared to what I could/would have gotten from my PnS. But, I know these can be even better.

Thanks for the compliments on the family. Most days, I like them too.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:00 PM   #5

As far as the white balance, for indoors you can first try the AWB and see what it does. If your K-x is like my K-7 it does better than previous Pentax cameras but isn't perfect. Then try tungsten and if it still looks strange, use a piece of white paper or a grey card if you happen to have one, and set a custom white balance.

Raw shouldn't be intimidating. The PEF format is Pentax's propietary format (all manufacturers have proprietary raw formats). DNG is Adobe's open format and isn't camera dependent. It's been slower to be accepted than their pdf format, but it's quite useful, especially if you are using Photoshop Elements (PSE is an excellent program), Lightroom or CS4. What software are you using?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:05 AM   #6

None. Yet.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:45 PM   #7

You can always use PhotoLab, which comes with the camera. I haven't looked at the current version since I use Lightroom and Photoshop (and have for a long time). I was really impressed with Photoshop Elements when I used it for about a month (my computer was in the shop so I sprung for PSE for my hubby's computer). It's well worth the little Adobe charges for it. But it's not the only raw converter, other people prefer some of the other ones.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:35 AM   #8

When you get into it, you'll love it. you can do so much with PP (post processing) and with the RAW format you have a lot more latitude to work with.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:43 PM   #9

i like the photos of the kids having fun
the light on the faces is wonderful
they look like they are some where a bit warmer than north America or Europe, or they are really hardy types lol

for editing jpg and to some degree raw files there is a free software i use called GIMP
www.gimp.org
it is a bit tricky to learn, but can do lots of things, colour correction for one, adjusting tones, resize, sharpening, removing dust spots etc etc