Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:01 PM   #11

I wouldn't want a physically smaller camera ...as my main camera...then Pentax' offers now. Like some other respondents I'm also a big guy and I find my K10D with battery grip a good fit.

My KM (K2000) w/o battery grip is a nice carry around but I do find the body too small for my large hands.

Like GoldWing I have a substantial investment in Pentax and Takumar lenses and gear...going back 42 years.

I don't think a smaller format then APS-C would appeal to me, like the Olympus/Panasonic system. If anything again like G/W I would go with possible FF. I tried out the new Olympus Pen and I have to say I was not impressed. Having to mount a separate finder in the shoe...I thought that died out with Rangefinders a number of years ago. Pricey for what it is...no..I wouldn't go for it.

I note that Sony has recently brought out a cheaper FF DSLR (850 I think) and I feel that other makers will follow Sony's lead.

IMO, FF DSLR's in 3-5 years will be cheaper, maybe the cost of premium APS-C DSLR like the K7.

As a result I wonder if APS-C format will wither away, although I was heartened by the introduction of the feature filled Canon 7D and the Nikon D300s this year...so maybe these intros of two advanced cameras by the top two (in sales) camera makers portends well for the ultimate survival and continued evolution of the APS-C format.

At this point I'm still happy with my K10D and KM (k2000)...durability, reliability and picture quality.

If Pentax doesn't bring out a FF in the next dfew years I think I would replace my K10D/ KM only if they died. At that point I would look at whatever the top Pentax was...K8, K-9 , K10 or whatever the model number happens to be.

I did buy my KM as a portable carry around unit. The OP's link talked about a 'pocketable' camera. I like that idea and first looked at the Canon G10, which really appeals to me. Unfortunately the G10, doesn't match the pix quality of a basic DSLR...so that left me cold. I got the KM DSLR, which although is one of the smallest DSLR's around is not exactly pocketable. So I use a small LowePro bag for it. Not bad...but still not there in what I want.

I used to carry a high quality pocketable 35 mmm camera, my old Leica 11F Rangefinder. This camera albeit ancient could match the quality of any film SLR. My Leica has a collapsible 50 mm F3.5, 50 mm Leitz Elmar lens. It is small (but heavy) and fit in a sport's jacket inside breast pocket without being too obtrusive.

This is what I want in a digital carry around.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:33 PM   #12

I've handled two full frame cameras, both Canon (belonged to friends). Both took lovely pictures but I got tired just reviewing the pictures my friend took on the LCD. I couldn't imagine trying to shoot with one for any length of time, or trying to hold one steady with one of my big, heavy lenses. I'd be more interested in a small camera instead of something any larger. The K20 is my absolute limit, and I do better with the K-7, so an EVIL would be more interesting to me than full frame. But I really do prefer the APS-C cameras and don't think they are going to be going anywhere in the near future.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I've handled two full frame cameras, both Canon (belonged to friends). Both took lovely pictures but I got tired just reviewing the pictures my friend took on the LCD. I couldn't imagine trying to shoot with one for any length of time, or trying to hold one steady with one of my big, heavy lenses. I'd be more interested in a small camera instead of something any larger. The K20 is my absolute limit, and I do better with the K-7, so an EVIL would be more interesting to me than full frame. But I really do prefer the APS-C cameras and don't think they are going to be going anywhere in the near future.
I'm with you on this, Harriet. Unless there's some kind of technology breakthrough, full-frame DSLRs are just too big and heavy for my taste. Now, mind you, it's not that I can't work with full-frame DSLRs. It's just that it's not very enjoyable. I look forward to a day when full-frame DSLRs can be the same size as 35mm film cameras. Well, I can dream, can't I?

There are also a number of APS-C DSLRs that are too big and too heavy for my tastes - most of them Nikon. I tried a Nikon D200 before I went with Pentax. After a week, I decided the D200 was not only too big and too heavy but also that there were literally too many customizable settings. I found myself thinking more about working the camera than I did about taking photographs. Again, it's not that I couldn't work the camera, it's just that it wasn't very enjoyable.

I like the size of Pentax's DSLRs. I also like the size of Olympus's DSLRs. I went with Pentax because of a better viewfinder, weather resistance and Pentax lenses. I suspect APS-C will stay with us because improvements in sensor and software technology will allow image quality to keep improving. Full-frame might still be better in a theoretical sense because those cameras will enjoy the same improvements in technology. But I also suspect only hard-core professionals may need that "extra" that full-frame will allow.

Personally, I'd be interested in an EVIL, but probably only as a second camera - at least until my age makes carrying and working a DSLR a burden for me. But I want a viewfinder. Which is why I would be more interested in, say, a Panasonic G1 than I would a GF1. The Samsung NX10 also has my attention. But it will have to deliver in terms of image quality. If not, maybe I'll add a K-x to my kit.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote