Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

... One question I have about the K-X - in your reading, have you run across something called the program line? The K20 and K-7 both have the ability to change what they call the program line and I wondered if this might be something that was left off the K-X, being an entry level camera. What the program line does is allow you to influence what the camera will use for a "proper exposure" in P mode. You can choose to have the camera almost always shoot at a lens's "sweet spot" where it's supposed to be sharpest (most useful for shooting with FA and DA lenses which the camera can identify), or have it emphasize faster shutter speeds or greater depths of field. There's also the default normal setting, which is what you would get leaving the camera totally to its own devices. It's not something that's really necessary, but there have been times I've been really happy to have this feature and wondered if the K-X had it also.
On the K-x, when you are in P mode, you cannot change anything unless you enable the feature where the Green button can change the Aperture, Shutter speed or both by rotating the wheel.

In my case, I set the Green button to allow the Optical Preview therefore, in P mode, when rotating the wheel, the camera does not do anything.

So in the K7, when you are shooting in Pmode, rotating the wheel will change Aperture and Shutter speed regardless what the Green button is set too?
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:23 PM   #12

Wow interesting thread, I was not aware of the flash voltage thing I will have to check mine before using them any more, I have used a couple of Pentax flashes from the 80's but I haven't used my old vivitar flash yet, Thanks for the info

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:48 PM   #13

There seems to be more differences with controls than I had thought. The K-7 has optical preview connected to the on/off dial. There's a third point on the dial after "on" that looks like a circle (sort-of). The camera can be set to show either optical or digital preview using this - I gather that's not an option on the Kx?

The K-7 has two wheels, one in front and one in back. The default settings are to have the front wheel control the shutter speed and the back wheel control the aperture. The green button is for re-setting the values to whatever the camera thinks is right. The K-7 also has a separate button for ISO, so in P mode (I think all modes other than the green/auto mode), you can push the ISO button and then use the wheel to specify a specific ISO. Pushing the ISO button and the green button puts the camera back to how you have the ISO set in the menu (I keep mine on auto ISO). Same thing with the Ev button - pushing that and the green button resets the Ev back to 0.

I can see that the P mode might not be as useful on the K-x as it is on the K-7. The K20 and K10 are the same except they don't have the ISO button.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
One question I have about the K-X - in your reading, have you run across something called the program line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
On the K-x, when you are in P mode, you cannot change anything unless you enable the feature where the Green button can change the Aperture, Shutter speed or both by rotating the wheel.

In my case, I set the Green button to allow the Optical Preview therefore, in P mode, when rotating the wheel, the camera does not do anything.

So in the K7, when you are shooting in Pmode, rotating the wheel will change Aperture and Shutter speed regardless what the Green button is set too?
Thanks for your detailed explanation MGal.

As for your other question..yes I found Program line. And so I am going to cautiously disagree with Manteiv..(unless i am misinterperating his statement and the topic).

On Page 94 of the manual indicate that the exposure can be adjusted using the edial and Av button. From there the P will change shutter and aperture while maintaining exposure...which has been previously adjusted..the EV compensation value is displayed in both the viewfinder and display
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post

... On Page 94 of the manual indicate that the exposure can be adjusted using the edial and Av button. From there the P will change shutter and aperture while maintaining exposure...which has been previously adjusted..the EV compensation value is displayed in both the viewfinder and display

Littlejohn, I checked p94-95, it does not work for me because my green button is programmed to the optical preview.

From what I understand, when the green button is set to the default, the Pmode works as follows:
- rotate the wheel to change aperture
- push the green button to enable P-Shift
- then rotate the wheel again to change the shutter speed.

Because I set my green button to optical preview, rotating the wheel does not seem to do anything for me.

I cannot push the green button to activate Pshift unless I go in the menu again and change it to the default and I don't want to do that every time either.

The only thing that works for me is EV compensation

I will spent more time to experiment other settings, maybe there is a way around this

Last edited by manteiv; Jan 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM.
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote