Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Winter Wonderland

well went out to local scenic spot thinking that the UK's recent cold spell might make for some different photos than the usual ones and I wasn't disapointed

The prolonged extreme cold has turned it into the most amazingly beautiful place. Even the waterfall had frozen, sadly the viewing spot overlooking the falls is a bit to close to them and 18mm just wasn't cutting it, my LBA has developed a new itch in the ultra wide angle area!!!

i tried stitching some together but really not working well good enough to get an idea what it looked like but not good enough for close inspection - if you want I'll upload my attempt but otherwise will show what I thought were the best 2 photos of my trip (wasn't a long stay sadly as I took my mother along and she was having issues with staying on her feet - lesson learned!)

Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:08 PM   #2

Oh yeah, love these John!
Great example of our current global warming problem. Its down in the low 20's tonight, very unusual for here. I'm sitting here with two portable running trying to keep warm. Your photos really help BTW.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Very pretty pictures - well done! I sure wish we could see some more snow (we had some in early December). Instead, it's the middle of January and I'm running around at home without a jacket - while it's not unheard of, it's unusual.

GW - low 20 in Florida?! I bet there's all kinds of citrus farmers very unhappy at the moment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:07 AM   #4

Another look through the files showed that had managed to get most of the falls into a single frame - not perfect but still interesting to see

as for global warming =) might not feel like it right now but sadly this sort of thing was if perhaps not common, much more frequent in the past. Even just 20 years ago we always had snowy winters, so i do believe its real and ruining my skiing =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:10 AM   #5

Burrrrrrr! Nicely taken snow scenes.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:31 AM   #6

I'm sitting in front of a fireplace in the "sunny South," trying to stay warm on a morning that dipped to 10 degrees, and your photos remind me that things could be much more intense. Very nice series. Snow photos are not something I very often have the opportunity to shoot since the main form of winter precipitation we get here is usually ice. Fortunately, this cold spell came in dry and we have kept our electricity.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:23 PM   #7

All three are lovely landscapes with excellent capture of the range of tones. I especially like the third one for the careful composition.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
All three are lovely landscapes with excellent capture of the range of tones. I especially like the third one for the careful composition.
just wish that the 3rd one could have gotten a little bit more on the left hand side - missing a little there for the composition to look completely balanced - begining to think should have just saved up for a little longer and waited and got the DA* 16-50mm instead of getting the Sigma f2.8 18-50mm - those 2mm would probably have been all it would have taken

still gives me a reason to start eyeing up Pentax DA 12-24mm - spotted one for pretty reasonable price - just hope still at that price when i got the money together
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:39 PM   #9

Those look like they could have been taken anywhere here in Florida this week
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:03 PM   #10

But not in the mountains of California. Somehow it doesn't seem right to be out snowshoeing when its 50 F out. Very bizarre. But there's a hint that winter will start next week - hope so, we need all the snow and rain we can get.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote