Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default K10D dust spots on sensor-THANKS-

After 2 + years it seems as if it has finally happened...there appear to be some spots (dust ?) on my sensor.

I've been hoping the SR would take it off...but the pix all seem to have the same two spots in the same two areas.

The instruction book says either get a pro to remove the spots or to use a blower with the brush removed and blow away.

I'll try the blower idea first, before taking it down to the local camera shop.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

if the blower isn't sufficient, use the sensor swab type system. its a bit scary for many people, but its really not a big deal, i used them several times on my 20d

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Plus_with.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gumnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,259
Default

i have used a NEW nylon bristled artists brush
if you blow air through it (or suck air through it with a vacuum cleaner )
it charges the bristles
and a light brushing in one direction will lift off the dust

plus the benifit that if the missus sees you with the vacuum and asks what you are doing
and you reply some cleaning
she will be impressed (maybe)
__________________
www.johndolphin.net/photos
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Definitely try the blower - it's always done the job so far for me. I'm sure that one day I'll need to use some sort of swab, but so far, so good. Make sure you do NOT use canned air. I bought a Giotto Rocket Air Blower and it works great, only takes a minute or so. Make sure that you hold the camera upside down so the dust will fall out of it, rather than to the bottom of the camera, where it can get on the sensor again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Rufus T Firefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marshfield MA
Posts: 200
Default

A rocket blower should do for now. For when that day comes (and it will) when the dust just won't budge you will need to use a swab. Here's a site with very good info on how to prep and how to do it.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
__________________
I don't have a photograph. I'd give you my footprints, but they're upstairs in my socks. -- Groucho Marx
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Definitely try the blower - it's always done the job so far for me. I'm sure that one day I'll need to use some sort of swab, but so far, so good. Make sure you do NOT use canned air. I bought a Giotto Rocket Air Blower and it works great, only takes a minute or so. Make sure that you hold the camera upside down so the dust will fall out of it, rather than to the bottom of the camera, where it can get on the sensor again.
My fine motor skills are not great and as a result I'm leery of using a swab on the sensor.

The air blower I have is one of those rubber ball types, that you squeeze the rubber bulb and a puff of air comes out the nozzle end. The brush is easily slipped off the end. Is that the kind you're talking about to use ?

I will hold the camera downward...thanks for mentioning as I didn't think about that. Makes sense though.

Thanks, Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
i have used a NEW nylon bristled artists brush
if you blow air through it (or suck air through it with a vacuum cleaner )
it charges the bristles
and a light brushing in one direction will lift off the dustI'm going to try blowing the dust first with a bulb blower I think. I'm not familar with the artisit's brush, might be an idea to check it out at the local art store.

When you say a light brushing with the brush...you're talking about actually touching the snesor with the brush bristles...or do the 'charged' bristles need just to be close without touching the sensor?
I'm not sure how sensitive the sensor is to being touched ?

plus the benifit that if the missus sees you with the vacuum and asks what you are doing
and you reply some cleaning
she will be impressed (maybe)
She's working, I'm retired so I tend to do the vacuuming and the laundry. Vacuuming gives me a good workout...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
i have used a NEW nylon bristled artists brush
if you blow air through it (or suck air through it with a vacuum cleaner )
it charges the bristles
and a light brushing in one direction will lift off the dustI'm going to try blowing the dust first with a bulb blower I think. I'm not familar with the artisit's brush, might be an idea to check it out at the local art store.

When you say a light brushing with the brush...you're talking about actually touching the snesor with the brush bristles...or do the 'charged' bristles need just to be close without touching the sensor?
I'm not sure how sensitive the sensor is to being touched ?

plus the benifit that if the missus sees you with the vacuum and asks what you are doing
and you reply some cleaning
she will be impressed (maybe)
She's working, I'm retired so I tend to do the vacuuming and the laundry. Vacuuming gives me a good workout...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if the blower isn't sufficient, use the sensor swab type system. its a bit scary for many people, but its really not a big deal, i used them several times on my 20d

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Plus_with.html
Thanks for the link...I am afraid of the swab...will have to work up to it, if other methods fail.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
A rocket blower should do for now. For when that day comes (and it will) when the dust just won't budge you will need to use a swab. Here's a site with very good info on how to prep and how to do it.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
Thanks for the link Rufus...I've watched all your movies...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.