Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:46 AM   #1

Default Shake Reduction ON or OFF?

On my Pentax K-x, I have noticed on my pictures that quite often, the shake reduction when activated, is worse and resulted in more blurry images than when the feature is not activated. In my tests, I am holding the camera in my hands and I am shooting static objects.

I was reading that it is due to the sensors overcompensating.

I am in the process of experimenting which circumstance to use the SR or not. So far, I have noticed anything faster than 1/30sec is better off not using SR (camera is hand held and using stock 15-55mm lens). Over the next couple days, I will experiment with longer range lenses

Does anyone have thoughts to share about this issue

thanks
manteiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:04 AM   #2

you making sure to half press the shutter release wait for shake reduction to be ready then shooting?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
you making sure to half press the shutter release wait for shake reduction to be ready then shooting?
I did not pay particular attention to this. If the SR is activated, does the camera allow to take picture if the SR is not ready?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:36 AM   #4

The camera will take a picture as soon as its in focus, regardless of whether the SR is ready or not.

Have you updated the firmware in the last week? Some people are talking on another board about a firmware update that supposedly helps with the SR. It's not advertised this way so I have no idea if it's true or not - it's so hard to prove these things one way or the other. My own personal experience with my K7 recently is that there might be something to it, though I made some other changes that could account for what I was seeing. In any case, having the latest firmware is always a good idea.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Hi Mtngal,

Yes I updated the K-x firmware to version 1.01 right away after I got the camera (last week). That firmware is supposed to fix the batteries indicator issue.

I will try tonight shooting more pics with SR ON or OFF and pay attention to the SR icon to be ready before firing the shutter
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:23 PM   #6

new firmware for the k-7 too?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:03 PM   #7

The supposedly "hidden" K-7 firmware update has been out since the end of Dec., I think. I hesitated to even bring up the whole topic here as it's been very controversial on other boards as to whether it's for real or what it does since it's not documented by Pentax, and the only way to tell is to use something like PhotoMe (which I don't have since I have a Mac and it's only a PC program). According to PhotoMe, the firmware went from v1.02.00.14 to v1.02.00.16 for the K-7.

The reason I did bring it up is that I have reason to believe it might have done some slight tweaking of the SR system, but can't say for sure. I say that because when I adjusted my K-7 for the ff problems I was having with the 12-24 lens, I took a picture from my front porch in early evening light. I focused on something at least 10 feet away, the lens said "infinity" so everything should have been sharp. Shutter speed was over 1/1000 so there shouldn't have been any camera shake, but the whole picture looked soft, softer than I had expected, when I got around to looking at it later on the monitor. While I was thinking about it, I noticed the front element was quite dusty, so cleaned it off, but didn't take more pictures as it was after dark. I also ran across the reference to this supposed firmware update and figured it wouldn't harm anything - at worse all I would be doing is installing the same firmware update I already had (I had upgraded my camera when 1.02 first came out). The next day I went out and took some test pictures, using similar shutter speeds - the difference was significant. Now I'm not going to say the firmware was the reason, the blurriness could have been caused by all the dust on the lens. But I can't say that it wasn't either, since I didn't take pictures between cleaning the lens and installing the firmware.

There's a similar situation going on with the K-x, taking the firmware from 1.01.05 to 1.01.07. The other board I follow had it posted in early January, here's the link to the update (not to the other board): http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html (NOTE, this is the link for the K-x only). As I pointed out, unless you use PhotoMe or something that shows the whole firmware number, you can't tell what you have beyond the "1.01" or "1.02". The discussion about all the computer stuff about how to spot these hidden firmware updates goes over my head, frankly. But I figure that it only takes a couple of minutes to install firmware, it's from Pentax's official website so why not do it? Others might feel totally different about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote