Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:58 PM   #11

Extra battery eneloop batteries are always good, and a good battery charger that charges each battery individually.

So you got camera, lenses. Saw your post about getting a bag. CPL in 52 and 58 or get a 72 with step down rings so you can use it for any lens you may buy. optech neoprene strap is good idea. That is pretty much what you will need. If you want the gorillapod for slr zoom is nice for a travel tripod. And a wireless remote, so you can take self photo with the tripod.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want the gorillapod for slr zoom is nice for a travel tripod. And a wireless remote, so you can take self photo with the tripod.
I wondered about the gorillapod..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:17 AM   #13

I travel allot, and I use the gorillapod slr zoom model. It is a very useful tripod for a heavy traveller looking to keep weigh down.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:21 AM   #14

Bring silica packs to suck up the humidity in your bad to protect you lenses form fungus growth. Biggy in the jungle.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:15 AM   #15

I have saved a bunch..but even for 2 weeks fungus is a problem???
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:36 AM   #16

I guess you have not been in the jungle. When I was deploy in Panama, it was a problem since it was always humid and it did not help that we were in the jungle most of the time and rain allot. Fungus grew on pretty much everything. By the time we got back to base, we had to clean everything. I threw out couple of pairs of boot due to rote.

It grows fast in the tropics, especially if the bag and gear gets wet. You will be in a hotel with AC most likely. So when you come in from a hot day to turn in, humidity/condensation will settle on you gear and when you head back out, the bag can trap that humidity and promote fungus growth. Better safe then sorry with the silica.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:23 AM   #17

Thanks yer right....the closest I've been to a jungle is in a greenhouse.......and humidity...well steam room.

I live in the okanagan in BC..Hot dry summers...

before that...northern Alberta...long cold dry winters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I guess you have not been in the jungle. When I was deploy in Panama, it was a problem since it was alway humid and it did not help that we were in the jungle most of the time and rain allot. Fungus grew on pretty much everything. By the time we got back to base, we had to clean everything. I threw out couple of pairs of boot due to rote.

It grows fast in the tropics, especially if the bag and gear gets wet. You will be in a hotel with AC most likely. So when you come in from a hot day to turn in, humidity/condensation will settle on you gear and when you head back out, the bag can trap that humidity and promote fungus growth. Better safe then sorry with the silica.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:59 PM   #18

I was always led to believe that a UV filter was a must have accessory.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:29 PM   #19

It degrades image quality. It is a cheap add on that stores get a huge mark up on. I do not use uv filters. I uses haze1 filter to help cut haze and ND filter for different effect. But when I shoot on the beach, I use a Haze1 for sand protection.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:09 PM   #20

Could you tell from a pic if someone had used an UV filter?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote