Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:41 PM   #1

Default New K-x Owner and now I have a goofy question

So, after much gnashing of teeth and going back and forth between 3 manufacturers of entry level DSLRs, this past Saturday I bought a Pentax K-x with the 18-50mm and 50-200mm kit lenses.

I bought two UV filters more for lens protection than anything else. They were branded by the photography store I bought the camera in here in Chicago, a store more targeted at professionals in photography than to consumers.

So now I have a very goofy question. The Pentax (pinch) lens caps will not work with the filters. I'll be returning the filters this coming weekend.

Any recommendations for a good filter manufacturer that would also be able to accommodate the Pentax lens caps?
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

unless you are going to be shooting in harsh conditions, i.e. flying rocks/debris, salt spray, sand storms, etc.

i would just forget the filters, they do degrade image quality. you can use a lens hood for protection while you are shooting, which also cuts glare improving your images. and when not shooting, just pop the cap on.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:48 PM   #3

I second that, the UV protector serve no purpose and degrade the images.

If you must get any protection get a high quality Clear filter as you are shooting in low light. B&W is a good one but pricey.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:03 PM   #4

Thanks. Conventional wisdom among my friends with DSLR was that a UV filter was a must for protecting the lens.

However, they may know about as much or possibly less than I do
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

well a lens hood will protect the front element if you drop it somehow. and when you are not using the lens hood, the cap will be on it.

so unless there is any flying debris, sand, etc. i would not see a real reason to lose image quality over some freak accident that something can go inside your lens hood and scratch/break your front glass.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:06 PM   #6

I have UV filters, but that was because it is more critical for film as it is more sensitive to UV light. But digital camera are sensitive to IR light and have excellent IR filter built in, there is no need for IR filtering. And I think allot of filter makers started marketing the UV filter for protection since the film market is drying up. UV has no purpose.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I have UV filters, but that was because it is more critical for film as it is more sensitive to UV light. But digital camera are sensitive to IR light and have excellent IR filter built in, there is no need for IR filtering. And I think allot of filter makers started marketing the UV filter for protection since the film market is drying up. UV has no purpose.
Thanks for clarifying for me. My frame of reference is stuck somewhere around 1973 or 1974 and my old Minolta 35mm camera, that my brother had bought in 1968!

My recent purchase was driven mainly by need and by my growing frustrations with point & shoot. Naturally, I fell back on what I knew with film, which is that one needs at least a UV filter.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:20 AM   #8

Can we talk about circular polarizers??

If you were going to costa rica...what would you take...???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:31 AM   #9

C-PL are well worth the money to bring out the blue in the sky. As long as you know how to use them properly. Some say get multicoated one, I find that they are a pain to clean if you get sea spray or crud on them. I just go with a plain glass one for that reason. If you aim them perpendicular to the sun you will not have the ghosting or flare issues when using them. You also get the greatest effect of the C-PL

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:52 AM   #10

Bring some silca pack, it will help keep the humidity out of your gear, and avoid fungus on the lens.