Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:56 AM   #1

Default Metz 58 AF-1 on my K10D!

My new flash unit has just arrived and I'm pleased to share my positive initial impressions with those who consider to get one.
In the first place I should say I feel lucky not to have chosen anything less powerful since this unit gives me the opportunity to bounce with confidence without having to bump the iso over 100! I've often used the built in diffuser and the reflector card on the flash unit, which makes a favourable difference. Btw, the secondary little flash on the unit is godsent; when dialed to 1/4 power while the main flash is bounced for the ceiling no more shadows say between petals, shelves or on the neck, etc.
The A (auto) mode depending on the dedicated sensor in the flash unit does the job as expected, requiring no fiddling with the settings. But the P-TTL mode is also quite reliable when (ev) dialed to +0.7 on the camera (The very setting I use without the flash!!) I should mention that I especially prefer the P-TTL mode for macro works, since it determines the flash power through the lens, otherwise the subject looks a little overexposed perhaps due to some parallax effect since the dedicated sensor on which the A mode depends, is on the flash unit as I mentioned before.
Below are two dirty examples straight from the camera which have made me feel that the unit is powerful enough to paint a whole block across the street to light while gentle enough to capture a delicate moment beside you! Oh, sorry for the mass, btw : ))

Last edited by bahadir; Jan 22, 2010 at 4:34 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:18 AM   #2

Since I, too, just received mine earlier this week (still in box), your post couldn't have come at a better time as I don't know where to even begin with using a flash. Up until now, it was existing light for me. I expect there to be a learning curve.

In your picture, the kids are done with the homework, I'm sure
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:45 AM   #3

Or perhaps doing their homework? No - they look far too interested to be doing homework.

The Metz sounds like a very cool flash - makes me jealous. I really need to try to figure out how to use my flash properly - I tend to either just use it off-camera for macros or else in PTTL and hope for the best. I really don't know what I'm doing with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Super Moderator

that is a great flash unit. congratz!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:09 PM   #5

Hello Bahadir.
Congratulations on the new flash. looks to be working well for you. Your kids sure are growing! the last shot reminds me of a very short "leaning tower of Pizza"

I'm curious how this compares to the Pentax AF540?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:32 PM   #6

This is neat, I have been contemplating either a Metz 48-1 or 58-1 for my K100d Super. Looks like a 58-1 might be a better choice for me after all. Thanks bahadir for the post, very helpful.
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the 2nd fill flash on the 58 is really nice. and makes the price difference worth it if you are bouncing flash alot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:26 AM   #8

@ cameanee: I belive you've taken yours out of the box by now. Mine been a great toy for me providing quite fun and learning curve, and despite my eargerness the batteries lasted until this morning : )
Ah, as for the kids, I sometimes often myself involved in as a PA to guarantee that!!

@ mtngal: Ah, they entitle the schoolbooks with far more appealing names than my time, such as Joy of Maths or Love of Geography : ) Yet, they still remain cold in front of the hot hot computer games as seen in the pic!!
Regarding the flash power to enable a long reach and a safe bouncing in different environments, I had narrowerd my choices to two; Pentax 540 or Metz 58. I eventually went for the Metz for its secondary flash for eliminating shadows, which has proved to be handy. Actually off camera wireless mode is fun as you do with your macros. Below is one of my attempts using the unit as slave on my right held in my lefthand!! and the on board flash as controller.

.................................................. .......

@Hards80: Thank you for the kind feedback. According to my experimenting so far the secondary flash on the unit work has worked well indeed especially when dialed down to 1/4 power for subjects within a range of 3-4 meters as a supplementary to the main flash directed up for bouncing. Oh, I'm a beginner for this unit of course and would be so happy to hear any suggestions.

.................................................. .........

@Goldwinger: Haha the last shot really reminds one of a short version of the leaning tower of pizza, due to my superior handling of the camera (though it somehow looks slightly tilted to me w/o the camera!!)and the post modern taste of architecture Happy to see you're there with great humour my friend : )
Actually, I'm curious too, and would like to have one and use it as controller (instead of the on board flash) and the Metz a slave, and vice versa. Ah, yes the kids are growing leaving 'the baby' position vacant

.................................................. ....

@ AZK6er: Glad to hear my experince has also worked for you. The 58 is equipped with a dedicated sensor on it which works great in some situations the p-ttl might be fooled, as well as a secondary flash, about which I mentioned quite a lot above. After some experimenting I realised that I'd be disappointed with anything with a lesser flash power.

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote