Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Default This Stuff Worth Keeping? I

A friend offered me his Pentax gear that he bought in Viet Nam about 40 years ago.

The Spotmatic seems to work but haven't tried it with film, I'm more interested in the Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens. I don't have an M42 adapter though. Should I get the Pentax adapter or will the cheap Asian ones work? I've heard that some of them won't allow infinity focus, what should I look for?

In addition he has this Vivitar 20mm F3.8 Wide Angle:

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Default And more worth keeping?

Also a Soligor 90-230mm constant f4.5. It's a strange lens. It has a Pentax M42 adapter. Apparently this lens was made to accept adapters for different cameras? I think it's called a T4 mount?

Strange Aperature (ring?). It has f stops going in both directions, but with the m42 adapter it only moves to the left. Possibly with a different adapter it moves to the right? (Nikon?)

Here's a shot of the m42 adapter

And then there's this, it mounts to the front filter threads of a 49mm diameter lens in this case, but I understand you can also get a 55mm adapter; Kenko Fish-Eye 180

Here's a shot I took indoors, doesn't focus very well, but I don't know where to set the aperature and focal length.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3

Default And even more worth keeping?

And some more odds and ends

Kenko Vari Cross (star) filter:

Misc Kenko filters:

with nice plastic cases

Nice metal frames

Some of the boxes have the price tag stil on them $1.85

And last a Kenko Teleplus 2x converter in m42 with a nice conversion table on the side showing effect on aperature.

He asked a $100 for the lot - looking for advice.

Thanks,
Jim
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4

It looks like its all in excellent condition. Not sure the star filter is worth anything - I have one and never use it. The other filters aren't worth all that much any more, unless you have a specific use for them.

I don't know anything about the lenses, which is where the value is, but if you don't have a fast 50, it might be nice. Hopefully someone who shoots with M42 lenses will give you guidance on the other ones. As far as the fish-eye attachment, it looks like it would be a novelty at best. When you say you can get an adaptor - is it something specific for the fish-eye? Because if it's a step-up ring, I wonder what type of view you would get (would you loose even more on the sides and corners?).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:36 PM   #5

I had one of those fish-eye adapters. I wouldn't mount that one on a lens with that protrusion in the rear. Mine had a proprietary thread with a series VII adapter that brought it out flush on the rear, and then a series VII adapter ring of whichever diameter you needed was added. If that is truly a 49mm thread, you could try adding a 55-49mm step-down ring to add length to the rear and at the same time fit your 55mm lens. As to whether or not the batch is worth $100, that would depend on your desire to play around with old stuff. The standard lens, wide angle, and teleplus should should easily surpass that on the resale market if they are clean and operable, and the fisheye adapters have a website somewhere devoted to them (they were sold under maybe at least a half-dozen different brand names). The Spotmatic body is a classic, but it is awfully old to still be fully functional considering its geographic origin and the fact that it doesn't look too clean, but you probably don't want to revert to using film anyway.. And you are right about the T-4 lens - the direction of rotation of the ring was intended to match that of the type of body it was to fit.

Last edited by penolta; Jan 22, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It looks like its all in excellent condition. Not sure the star filter is worth anything - I have one and never use it. The other filters aren't worth all that much any more, unless you have a specific use for them.

I don't know anything about the lenses, which is where the value is, but if you don't have a fast 50, it might be nice. Hopefully someone who shoots with M42 lenses will give you guidance on the other ones. As far as the fish-eye attachment, it looks like it would be a novelty at best. When you say you can get an adaptor - is it something specific for the fish-eye? Because if it's a step-up ring, I wonder what type of view you would get (would you loose even more on the sides and corners?).
I didn't show the filter thread end of this Kenko fisheye, but it's not a standard step up or down ring. More like a disk with a smaller diameter threaded hole in the center that screws on to the lens. The outer diameter is for 49mm threads. I've seen listings for this on ebay with a 55mm disk and then you can use step up or down rings from there. On a full frame or 35mm film camera you would have a complete circular photo, but on the APS-C sensors you get the top and bottom cropped off.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I had one of those fish-eye adapters. I wouldn't mount that one on a lens with that protrusion in the rear. Mine had a proprietary thread with a series VII adapter that brought it out flush on the rear, and then a series VII adapter ring of whichever diameter you needed was added. If that is truly a 49mm thread, you could try adding a 55-49mm step-down ring to add length to the rear and at the same time fit your 55mm lens. As to whether or not the batch is worth $100, that would depend on your desire to play around with old stuff. The standard lens, wide angle, and teleplus should should easily surpass that on the resale market if they are clean and operable, and the fisheye adapters have a website somewhere devoted to them (they were sold under maybe at least a half-dozen different brand names). The Spotmatic body is a classic, but it is awfully old to still be fully functional considering its geographic origin and the fact that it doesn't look too clean, but you probably don't want to revert to using film anyway.. And you are right about the T-4 lens - the direction of rotation of the ring was intended to match that of the type of body it was to fit.
Thanks Penolta. Yes the Spotmatic is dirty. He hasn't used this gear in 20 years. The protrusion on the end of the Fisheye is a screw on rear lens cap. When you take it off you can attach it to a lens with a 49mm filter thread without touching your lens.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Thanks Penolta. Yes the Spotmatic is dirty. He hasn't used this gear in 20 years. The protrusion on the end of the Fisheye is a screw on rear lens cap. When you take it off you can attach it to a lens with a 49mm filter thread without touching your lens.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Then you do have the proper adapter ring (mine didn't have a rear cap with it), All you need then is the step-down ring.

Quote:
I don't know where to set the aperature and focal length
You set the focal length to match that of the lens it is mounted on. The prime lens should be wide open and the aperture is that of the internal diaphragm on the fish eye, which was designed for match needle metering - use the camera's meter to determine the best aperture by observing the finder indicators as you turn the ring.

Last edited by penolta; Jan 23, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:59 AM   #10

Hi Jim. I would suggest careful check of the S-M-C 50mm F1.4 lens. If it is in good order mechanically and optically, the deal is worth doing regardless of whether the Spotmatic works. I use several types of M42 to PK adaptors. Genuine Pentax and cheaper imitations. The cheaper ones are OK. I unscrewed the metal tab on the non Pentax version to make sure it couldn't give any problems and mount works fine without it. cheers
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote