Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:26 PM   #1

Default Dog Sledding

Went to the largest dog sledding rally in the - some of the dogs were absolutely gorgeous and they all seemed to be having a fantastic time.

took my camera along and sadly my skills let me down and had overcompensated for the white snow in most shots and they were coming out over exposed but shooting raw saved me and managed to salvage some that were completely unusable - strange though as on the lcd it looked about right when i did the test shots but but perhaps was the way the light was hitting the screen i dont know -the ones that were really bad though was because i forgot to adjust the exposure and i had moved =/

anyway here some pics of the Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain rally at Aviemore, Scotland.

dispite being siberian husky club these and infact most of the dogs seemed to be alaskan malamuts

think these are huskies this time

Back to alaskan malamuts

Before i descided that a custom white balance off the snow might be a good idea!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:38 PM   #2

Looks like you had a great time, and the dogs do look like they are enjoying the run. I know what you mean about the white balance, snow does reasonably good for a WB target. I've been frustrated shooting snow pictures the last few days - I used a +1 and they were still somewhat underexposed. You did a good job of recovering these, if they were overexposed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:56 PM   #3

1st 4th and 5th weren't over exposed but 2nd and 3rd were very white =) can probably tell they are a bit washed out - did what i could in photoshop and think they turned out pretty well overall

shooting snowy scenes certainly is a challenge - and i got it wrong today but thanks to raw its really amazing what you can do

why anyone shoots jpeg i dont know
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:11 PM   #4

Nice action series - one would never know you had an exposure problem.

BTW, a Malamute is really nothing more than a husky Husky!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:29 PM   #5

Look good to me considering the conditions. There was a dog sled rally locally last weekend I was going to, but it was cancelled last minute. I'll have to see if they rescheduled it. Does look like a good outdoor opportunity to practice action shots.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:49 PM   #6

Nice action shots of beautiful dogs. The snow looks deep there is Scotland. Thanks for sharing.
tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:21 AM   #7

Some wonderful photos of some great dogs in action! Also nice work in PP - I would never know that you had exposure problems looking at these!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:12 PM   #8

Cool action shots of beautiful dogs doing what they love to do most, run and pull.

I had a Siberian Husky for 12 years. They are a very beautiful animal but very aloof.

Nice series well taken!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Also nice work in PP - I would never know that you had exposure problems looking at these!
wasn't that difficult just dragged the exposure down then adjusted the levels in photoshop - seems that its better to overexpose than under as had no trouble turning completely whited out snow to being able to see the texture in it
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
BTW, a Malamute is really nothing more than a husky Husky!
I dunno about that. ;-)

I was just watching a special on TV last night comparing some of the differences between them, explaining why the Malamute is a much better dog for hauling heavy sleds, etc. It went into differences in their skeletal structure, paw design, fur, rear leg muscles, and more. The Husky is apparently better for speed (hence, popular for use in sled races). But, from what I gathered from the show I was watching, the Malumute is better for many other purposes and they're quite different in some areas that are not very obvious when looking at them side by side.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote