Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:02 PM   #1

Default Snow, part 2

The last of the cold, snowy pictures I've taken the past couple of days. It's been a nice break, but tomorrow morning we'll be able to get to work, so it's back to the normal grind.

The sun played hide and seek on Friday, coming out and then giving in to some new snow. One of the times it came out:

A regal-looking resident. I think he's probably thinking that those of us who were outside were crazy.

It doesn't stay cold - days are often (usually) above freezing, then dropping down at night. It made for some nice icicles.

Early morning and the sun is just barely up.

Think I need to trim back some branches - though these branches only close in when they are coated with heavy, wet snow.

Can you tell that I really do love winter, as long as it doesn't interrupt my commute for more than one day. This was a bit much, but it was sure pretty out!

It seemed there was no end to the shoveling. Went to bed with a cleaned off, dug out jeep and woke to several inches of fresh snow.

If I put a red bow on top, it would look like a new car, gift-wrapped for Christmas. Too bad the timing is wrong.

Anyway, these provide a brief glimpse into my little corner of the world in winter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:27 PM   #2

Very nice series, like the icicles shots. Very Lime Green Jeep
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:49 PM   #3

Lovely pix....bright sunlight and newly fallen snow always a good combo.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Anyway, these provide a brief glimpse into my little corner of the world in winter.
Oh, quite demonstrative captures indeed...I almost felt that familiar 'snow crunching' under my feet : )
The exposures are spot on, and the colours look so vibrant and true. I should also say that the shading in the last picture quite appealed to me, displaying an astonishing extended dynamic range for digital. I wonder if they are raw conversations.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:26 AM   #5

Great photos all - it is so difficult to capture the white of snow, and you did it so well, in all these varied and fascinating scenes...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:51 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very picturesque. The exposures and WB are perfect! It looks like a very wet snow which I think makes for much better photography than the dry powedery kind. Then again it makes for harder shoveling.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:37 AM   #7

Very lovely winter scenes.... and nicely captured, especially like the texture and shadows. January in the northeast often produces flat light, making for a challenge to capture the snow's texture.
tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:54 AM   #8

Great snow exposures. Looks like you have heavy wet stuff. Nice series of shots.

Your weather is here today. We will be getting 1-2" of rain from your storm and temps in the 50F range. All or most of our snow will be gone by tomorrow. Cold will set in again by this week end.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:55 AM   #9

Trust bahadir to spot the one HDR out of the bunch! That was a 5 frame auto bracketed series with each frame taken 2 stops apart, and the camera set to +1.0 Ev, then merged in Photomatix. I took a number of other series, some came out all right while others didn't work as well.

Even with the camera set to +1, the pictures tended to be a bit underexposed most of the time. White balance was difficult, especially the ones taken through our double pane windows - these were all taken in raw with either daylight or custom WB set and adjusted from there, mostly using Lightroom, then perhaps tweaking a bit in Photoshop if it didn't look quite right when I exported it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote