Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Feeling down, so I went for a walk...

Iwalked around the Lake after work today to see if I could raise my spirits a bit. Yeah, it help, Got several good picks that I'll share with you tomorrow. First, I wanted to share these. They aren't anything to brag about but, it was exciting getting these first of a kind for me eagle shots. Just as I was throwing my leg over the seat on my bike, something caught my attention. Iy was quite a ways off in the distance but I could tell it was a bald eagle. I snapped a couple shots as best I could relying on the auto focus which didn't work too well. These will never be published in any magazine but they still got my juices running. I know I'll be back to get more with better gear.

These are major crops so the IQ suffers a lot and they weren't that good to start with.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jan 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2

I think they came out very nicely. They are better than any of the hawk pictures I've ever managed, and I've never seen a bald eagle flying before. I know how thrilled you must have been with these - I was thrilled with the Condor pictures I took, and they weren't half as good as these.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:31 PM   #3

GW, you have nothing to apologize for. These are better than any flight shots I've been able to get of bald eagles in a lot more tries, especially the third shot.

I know what you mean about the excitement of seeing one flying. They are simply magnificent birds.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

GW,

these look really great. i really like #1 and #3 here. no need to apologize for these photos, at all, they are quite good!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:06 AM   #5

I've never seen a bald eagle in person, let alone photograph them! You're so lucky to see such a cool bird.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:40 AM   #6

They came out pretty good in spite of the cropping. I like the background blue in #1 the best and the eagle in #3.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:38 AM   #7

GW - Hope your spirits continue to soar with the Eagles! What an awesome view of this amazing bird. Quite a bit of detail and sharpness, despite the cropping.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:00 AM   #8

Definitely nothing to apologize for. How you describe them, they are much better than anything I've gotten that ended up as a heavy cropping. You got great shots of one of the most majestic birds on this planet in flight. Great job.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:43 PM   #9

Thank you so much for the kind words guys! I can't wait to go back with the tripod and see what I can come up with! A couple shots I got were not worth keeping but, I found them humorous to see the expression on his face as he checked me out. He actually circled around and came back for a second look before disappearing into the wild blue yonder.
Harriet, I knew you'd know what I was feeling.
Jason, I'm surprised you haven't seen any up your way, I know there are a few around those parts and thanks to conservation efforts... more and more as the years go by.
Glen, I agree, I went a little over the top with PP in #3.
Mole, I like that... my spirit soaring with the eagle... cool!
Hey Mike, I'm going to post this one just to show how much I did crop it.
Here's the uncut non-edited jpeg version of #2, just to give an idea of what I had to work with.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
They aren't anything to brag about but, it was exciting getting these first of a kind for me eagle shots
GW, you're too modest. These pictures entitle you to indisputable bragging rights, they are veeeeery nice.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote