Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Continuing to have fun trying out my new (very used) A* 300, while traveling to a nearby school to share nature discovery with elementary students. Although my 135-600 zoom is better for capturing the little birds, this 300 sure does fit in my bicycle bag more easily!!

On the way to the school, passed close to the Holston River, where this Hooded Merganser was hiding by the tall grasses near shore. Much too shy for a good close photo, but hope you like these habitat shots.

Mole
Didn't know you have an A*300mm. It is an F4 or F2.8?
Either way you have made good use of it. Even raptors were cooperating.
I second what Paul said too. I am stuck in Toronto at around 0 deg F

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:34 PM   #12

Well done Mole! the Hooded Merganser shots are sure pretty. and the Mocking bird shot came out extremely nice and sharp as did the moon shot. That reminds me, I got to get a cantaloupe for breakfast.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:01 PM   #13

Great shots as usual Mole. I've never seen a hooded Merganser. It looks very beautiful.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:03 AM   #14

Mole, nice use of the new lens. You are beginning to acquire a nice glass arsenal.

Went out on an eagle watch yesterday saw 3 but too far away to get pictures. It was only 4 above zero F and with the wind chill it was pretty uncomfortable. The wind was strong enough that I couldn't use my birding scope.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:05 AM   #15

Paul - Thanks! (but none of my photos compare to the amazing ones you've been posting lately!)

Daniel - It's a very used, beat up and scratched up F4. But seems to work just fine as long as it's stopped down a bit. By the way, we had 5 inches of snow over the weekend, looking for an ice storm tonight, and it's currently 14 degrees F. But I do have warm clothes and boots...

GW - Thanks! Sure do wish I could have been carrying my 135-600, would have been much better for the merganser.

Mtnman - Thanks! Very beautiful, and not often seen in our area. Also much too shy for this impatient person...

Lou - Yes, probably have too much already... That must have been some wind!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Daniel - It's a very used, beat up and scratched up F4. But seems to work just fine as long as it's stopped down a bit.
I think Roy once had a pretty scratched A*F4 too. He proved that despite the cosmetic eyesore, the lens was decent. Front element scratch mark may not show in the image at all.
Good show in that you have rehabilitated it

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote