Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:15 PM   #1

Default King of the Sumac Tree

About this time every year, the sumac tree east of my house becomes a gourmet lunch counter for a wide variety of birds, many of which I don't commonly see.

This afternoon was a first--a visit by a yellow bellied sapsucker.

The poor guy had just settled in for a good feed, though, when he was literally rammed off his feed by a jealous robin, which proceeded to chase away every other bird, including a noisy hermit thrush who came to me to complain.

I told him there was nothing I could do, and the proud robin proceeded to feast and then proclaim his championship to the world.

Don't feel too bad, though, for the thrush. After the robin decided to look for someone else to bully, the thrush leaped up into the tree. Last time I saw him, he was chasing away a helpless eastern phoebe who has just stopped to rest and doesn't even eat the berries.

On the other side of the yard, action continued to focus on the "easy meal" at the feeder. A little song sparrow and dark eyed junco waited their turns on ice-covered branches

Finally, GW, this one is for you. I looked out my back window and was watching a squirrel playing and decided to go shoot him. Of course, he bolted when I slid open the patio door and I couldn't find him again once I got outside. I saw, at a moderate distance, what I assumed would be "another vulture, or maybe red-tailed hawk" and swung my camera up and started clicking, forgetting that I was shooing up into an overcast sky and to dial in appropriate EV. Made me sick when I what I had a well-focused, but underexposed photo of.

This juvenile was apparently passing through on his way to somewhere else because he was flying relatively low and fast.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:59 PM   #2

Paul, #2 really cracked me up! Nice series and story.
I can really feel your frustration on the Bald eagle shot.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:38 PM   #3

Winter sure brings the birds to you. The Thrush shots are great - I can never catch one out in the open - they are always skulking under the bushes.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:58 PM   #4

Great shots Paul. Please keep them well fed, so they'll be healthy and ready for the long flight back to my neighborhood in a few more months.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:06 AM   #5

Nice shooting Paul. You don't lack for a variety of birds in your neck of the woods. I love seeing them as some I never see up here.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Nice shooting Paul. You don't lack for a variety of birds in your neck of the woods. I love seeing them as some I never see up here.

Lou

Thanks for the kind words to all. My birds definitely keep me entertained.

Lou, you are certainly correct; we are blessed with a great deal of diversity here because of our position as sort of a "transition zone" for migratories. Your comment prompted me to run through my files, which I had not done for a while, and do a species count.

Since I began photographing birds about three years ago, I have photographed 94 species in Arkansas, 86 of those in the Hot Springs area.
In and around my yard, I have shot 54 species, 16 of which can be found year-round.

For me, one of the biggest benefits of rediscovering photography as a hobby is an increasing awareness, and appreciation, of the complexity and beauty of the world around me. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see a behavior or a pose that is new to me.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:56 PM   #7

Very good shots...I also really liked shot # 2....little feisty, bantam bird looks like it has plenty of spirit.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:08 AM   #8

Paul - once again, an amazing series - credit to your talents and patience. I especially enjoyed the Thrush shot, one of my favorite birds that I rarely get to see so well! But all are great photographs!!

Our sumacs seem to be very similar - few critters go for them until all the higher quality food is gone. Thanks for the reminder to keep an eye on ours now.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote