Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Default Trying some new software

I've been using Topaz Lab's deNoise for a while and really like it even though it's slow. At the time I was thinking about it, I looked at their other programs, to see if I wanted to buy deNoise alone or in their suite. My first reaction with most of their other offerings was that I'd probably not use them - they create effects that I'm not always crazy about.

I'm such a sucker for ads and "new and improved". They sent out an email announcing a new version of their detail plug-in. It is supposed to sharpen pictures without halos etc., so I thought I'd check it out - I'm always interested in how to sharpen without going over-the-top.

The first thing I found was that they have a separate free program that can make any of their programs, which are Photoshop plug-ins, into external editors within Lightroom (or iPhoto or Aperture, I think) - a very neat thing for me as I use LR for a lot of my post processing. Thought I'd mention that as I hadn't seen it when I was originally researching deNoise.

In any case, I downloaded their 30 day trial version of Topaz Detail. I tried it on this picture - I'd be interested in what others think of the two versions.

Here's the processed picture. It's a picture that doesn't quite work - I was walking around with just the camera and a prime lens. I happened on this scene and the lens was really too long for the story I wanted to tell. This one comes close and tells the story reasonably well, it's just not balanced as a picture. But do you think it looks over-processed? Sometimes its hard to tell with my home monitor - it can make pictures look sharper than they do on other monitors, and will show sharpening halos before other monitors.

Here's the photo how I would probably process it normally.

Which one do you prefer, and why?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

#1 definitely looks sharper. Additionally, #1 has a warmer tone to it as evidenced by the color of the cinder blocks. I am biased towards sharper images (in most cases) and I think #1 looks better (IMO).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:04 PM   #3

Just working with a netbook screen for a while but I agree with jelpee, everything seems to look more real in #1 the texture on the blocks, bricks and hair etc...
Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

there is quite a bit more detail in #1
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:35 PM   #5

#1 gets my vote as well.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:58 PM   #6

So no one thinks it looks over-processed? That's one of my biggest concerns - there's a very fine line between soft and over-sharpened with Photoshop. I do think the program, which uses contrast instead of outlining, allows for more sharpening than I usually like (though I haven't tried processing a picture with lots of leaves yet).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:05 PM   #7

From what I can see on my 17-inch iMac monitor, image #1 doesn't appear oversharpened. It's high on sharpness and detail but stops short of going over the line into oversharpened. Image #2 probably looks fine when viewed on its own with nothing to compare it to. But it's clearly soft and lacking in detail in comparison to #1.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:09 PM   #8

I'll have to agree with the others Harriet, although #2 by itself looks good with nothing to compare it to.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:15 PM   #9

Mtngal. I have been looking at this product with interest. It obviously, to my eye, works very well. I'm going to get it. Thanks for the report.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:15 PM   #10

i gotta say - that #1 seems that the contrast is just a little to strong - so much so in the dark areas around his shorts your loosing detail - then again you do see more detail elsewhere

i'd probably want a compromise between them of use some layer masks to pick out the best bits of both =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote