Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:07 PM   #31
daz

Default Seattle from Kite Hill in Gasworks Park.

From 3 pics (but selectively cropped to eliminate conflicts) using DA*16-50 (@16mm f/8 1/125) and K20D. Full size is 10512 wide with almost to much detail to look at.

DAZ
Attached Images

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:16 PM   #32

Oooh - very nice, daz. The time of the day sure gives you the feeling of the undulating terrain. I really like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:25 PM   #33
daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Oooh - very nice, daz. The time of the day sure gives you the feeling of the undulating terrain. I really like it.
Thanks mtngal. The terrain really is is undulating a lot but with out the lighting it would be hard to see in a 2D photo. You can see the full size photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazt/4372823779/sizes/l/.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:43 AM   #34

Default Main St. Milton

Hello Everyone,

I like the topic!

Made me go out and try out an idea I've been wanting to do since I moved here to Milton.

It's to do a linear panorama of our Main St. here.

[This picture is so wide, I'm not sure this post will work. But here it goes.]

[If this doesn't work, you can view the picture here. . . http://www.tacticdesigns.com/picts/mainstmilton ]
Attached Images

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Feb 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:10 PM   #35

Did you shoot this from one spot or did you move along the street to keep the perspective looking more like an elevation drawing than a real photograph? I'm really interested in how you managed this type of long picture, especially since you weren't all that far away from the buildings.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:35 PM   #36

I did one like that for downtown Winter Haven last year.
And yes, I walked down the block with a tripod stopping every so often to shoot. it works pretty well. Nice job Glen.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Mar 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:11 AM   #37

Hello Mtngal!

Yes. I walked down the street. And it is a very narrow street. (No way to get this image in one shot.)

I took about 80 shots or so, tried to send it through autopano & hugin, but I couldn't figure out how to make that work. So I just used hugin to try to straighten out some of the pictures (15-20?) so the buildings were more square. Then melded them together with Photoshop.

I think this image is more effective when you can't see the whole thing at once. Better to click on the link and have to scroll through the image. Or, if I can print this thing large enough and place it in a narrow hallway so that you can't back up far enough to see the whole thing and you're forced to walk to see the whole thing. <grin>

As mentioned before, I really found this topic interesting, and I had a lot of fun trying this out!

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:47 AM   #38

Default Red Rock Canyon, Nevada

Very close to a 180 degree panorama taken from High Point Overlook. Wilson Cliffs are to the right. Calico Hills are to the left. Taken with a 1957 Asahi Pentax AP with c. 1953 Angenieux 28mm f/3.5 Retrofocus.

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:01 AM   #39

Holy cats, seaain.gray, this is one absolutely spot on panorama!!! And taken with a 1957 Asahi Pentax AP... good grief, I was born that year... yikes!!! Good on you!

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:17 PM   #40

I know that spot - I've taken pictures there before once or twice. The last time there was a dusting of snow, quickly melting and I didn't stop there (was still pretty icy). What's amazing is that you can't see any civilization at all in your picture, and it's only 5-10 minutes to some major subdivisions and urban development. And not all that much further to some very bright lights...