Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaain.gray View Post
Very close to a 180 degree panorama taken from High Point Overlook. Wilson Cliffs are to the right. Calico Hills are to the left. Taken with a 1957 Asahi Pentax AP with c. 1953 Angenieux 28mm f/3.5 Retrofocus.
Very nice. I've been there also, visiting my sister who lives within about 15 minutes.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Holy cats, seaain.gray, this is one absolutely spot on panorama!!! And taken with a 1957 Asahi Pentax AP... good grief, I was born that year... yikes!!! Good on you!
Ned, thank you! Most kind. A nice way to start here. '57 was a very good year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I know that spot - I've taken pictures there before once or twice. The last time there was a dusting of snow, quickly melting and I didn't stop there (was still pretty icy). What's amazing is that you can't see any civilization at all in your picture, and it's only 5-10 minutes to some major subdivisions and urban development. And not all that much further to some very bright lights...
I'd love to have seen the dusting of snow. This was taken at about 90 degrees Fahrenheit as I recall. The comment about civilization is soooooooo true. Literally 10 minutes away.

Meanwhile, thought you cannot see it, there are a ton of humans and parked vehicles in multiple spots along the Calico Hills. This apparent isolation is what drew me to the shot.

Any photographer who goes to Las Vegas and does not go to Red Rock Canyon is really missing the real show if you ask me. The lights of Vegas are great, but get a trail map of this place and spend at least a day hitting the high points. Well worth the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Very nice. I've been there also, visiting my sister who lives within about 15 minutes.
Not quite an iconic location, but certainly very recognizable and impressive when you are there. I plan to go back some day specifically to spend three or four days exploring. So much of the west is overshot. This place affords one a more "anonymous" location. And so close and easy to get to from downtown.

Thanks again for the comments folks!

Seaain
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:18 PM   #43

Default At least a try

I haven't participated for some months now, so it's about time I contribute with my little effort. The easy part was taking the pictures, just had to drive around and look for views and then set up the tripod.
The hard part, obviously, is to get the original (seven) pictures evenly exposed. Even though I took them in a quick sequence the light changed between pictures, enough to be visible in the merge.
Harriet, help me out on this! Would be fun to get it right and print it as a 34cmX235 cm picture for the wall, over the sofa in the livingroom.

Kjell

I post the picture 1024 pixels wide, I guess many of you have wide 22" screens. It looks tiny anyway, the original is fascinatingly detailed.
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:40 PM   #44

My official entry. Main intersection in Mount Shasta at dawn as the snowstorm recedes. This has been fun and instructive. I wonder how to do an HDR and RAW?
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:17 PM   #45

Its getting close to the end. Went out this morning for these shots. I melded 3 into this picture. It looks like two cars, but is actually the same car in two pictures. DL and kit lens with tripod.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:08 AM   #46

March 1 so here's my vote. I liked several but thought pboerger's ski slope stood out. Also liked Kaltech's light house, Goldwinger's canal and Daz park. Woops, now I see that pboerger has his official one the main street intersection. I still like the ski slope. What do you want me to do Mr. Boerger?
Glenn

Last edited by Lyrics51; Mar 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:40 PM   #47

My vote goes to tacticdesigns for creativity, I never thought about moving myself and the camera along the pano view. Very interesting "non-perspective" effect.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:36 PM   #48

Every one of these pano's are terrific and I think they all deserve to win!
Because I know how much work went into it, I'm going to vote for Glen's Downtown Main Street. Nice work Glen.

BTW, where is Milton?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:00 PM   #49

While I am normally partial to landscapes for panoramas - and there are excellent ones here - Harriet's HDR cityscape has all of the elements - depth, breadth, and perspective, plus great color, contrast, and sharpness - that make an outstanding image, and it is my choice.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:06 PM   #50

My vote is for daz cityscape and park. Great use of the panorama with the terrain. My entry is go the town center shot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote