Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hi Brian,

I have thought about buying my camera off e-bay... just never done that before. So, you are saying you had no problems... do they ship it well... I dread the thought of ordering something and it comes broken... I presume you made quite a good savings buying off e-bay, is that correct.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Ned, you have to also consider who the seller is - is it an ebay store or an individual? Shipping / packaging is going to vary widely. Some people will pack well and others poorly. Let me say this - I would NEVER buy a body or lens that didn't include insurance on the shipping.

Even so - making a decision to buy/not buy based on one person's experience (good or bad) isn't recommended UNLESS you're buying from the same seller. Then it's relevant. Just like people who buy from internet storefronts - one person could buy from a great source and have a positive experience. Another person could buy from a bad source and have a bad experience. Or like buying a used car -some have great experiences, some bad.

I'm not saying dont buy from ebay - only that Brians ebay experience is only relevant if you'r buying from the same seller.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:04 PM   #12

You can buy a refurbished K100D from Best Buys for $250, or a refurbished K10D for $375. I'd go for the K100D if this is your first dSLR.

There have been some reports of problems with refurbs from Best Buys, but you should still have some sort of warranty, so you can return if needed. I've bought refurbished items many times and always found it as a way to save a few dollars, without any downside.

You can also buy the brand new Pentax Kx with the 18-55 kit lens for well less than $500 from several places. It's an outstanding entry camera.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:22 PM   #13

If you do decide to purchase from someone on ebay, check carefully their feedback - don't just look at the numbers, read the comments. Contact the seller. Find out why he is selling, whether he is knowledgeable about what he is selling - some people are just running an ebay business and selling for others. Be willing to pass up anything that looks the least bit less than what you want - there will always be something else along. Decide ahead of time what you want to pay. Use that figure as your maximum when bidding and don't let the last minute run-up entice you into bidding more - again, there will be another along soon. E-bay sellers live by their feedback, and are usually responsive to you if you want to return an item.
All that being said, today I would check out Adorama used - I saw several Pentax cameras there for good prices. B&H Photo is another place I can recommend also.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hi Brian,

I have thought about buying my camera off e-bay... just never done that before. So, you are saying you had no problems... do they ship it well... I dread the thought of ordering something and it comes broken... I presume you made quite a good savings buying off e-bay, is that correct.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Ned, you can also have a look at the Swedish auction site Tradera (ebay owned). I do a lot of selling and buying there, and have never been ripped off or dissappointed in any way. There is also a private ad site, Blocket, where people put their excess stuff for sale. Sellers of camera gear often have unrealistic hopes for what to get paid, but every now and then you can make a real bargain. Just do a search on "pentax" on both sites and you can see for yourself. Right now there are K10 and K20 bodies quite frequently, people are upgrading to K7. With a little patience you'll find nicely priced K200 and *ist DL bodies as well. Harder to find are *ist D and *ist DS (I'll never sell mine for sure).

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; Feb 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:29 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for your advice about buying from e-bay. Och tack, Kjell.

I will give these thought careful consideration.

Thanks all the best.

Ned

Jyäskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:53 PM   #16

You seem to have already gotten some great advice. So, I'll just add my experiences for you.

We recently purchased a Pentax film camera from KEH. It came packed very well and was nice and clean. We did question a hairline crack in the flash pop up, but a drop of glue has taken care of that.

Ebay, as everyone's said, is dependent upon who you get selling to you. Just make sure to read the reviews and ask any questions, no matter how trivial you think they might be, up front. You never know unless you ask. I've been watching for quite a few things on ebay lately and have luckily asked the question I was assuming and found out I was assuming wrong. Saved myself some bad purchase.

And, just this week have had a good experience with a seller on ebay. I purchased some extension tubes that supposedly fit the K20. I asked about the type of mount and was told I woulnd't need any adapter. When I received it, there was no way this was ever going to fit on the K20 with or without any standard Pentax adapter. I contacted them and they not only are returning all my money, they sent me a shipping label so I didn't have to pay return postage.

Anyway, do your homework and you'll do fine. I started with a K100 (one of the first ever released) and last December finally upgraded to the K20. I still have my K100.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:38 PM   #17

Hey Ned. All great advice. I've been on this forums for a while and have always gotten great feedback. I've purchased from B&H once and have also shopped on Amazon.com. I've had great luck with both. I actually just upgraded to the K7 and have my Pentax K2000 body for sale on amazon. I was very happy with it and treated it like my baby! I'm selling just the body but including a Tokina F4.5-5.6 80-200 mm manual focus lens with it.

If you want to check the link below, you can see more about the K2000 on amazon. I don't want to break any rules here by posting directly to mine but its listed in the used category. Not a bad camera if you are looking to upgrade. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=

Last edited by maverick96; Feb 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM.
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:45 PM   #18

So what is the difference between say the ist DS and the K100
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:57 PM   #19

The biggest difference to me between the DS and K100 is that the K100 has anti shake, while the DS doesn't. There are other differences - the DS has a pentaprism viewfinder while the K100 has a pentamirror. The K100 is a bit larger and heavier with a bigger LCD screen. The DS is a fun little camera to shoot and I really loved mine. On the other hand, I couldn't quite sell my K100 when I upgraded to the K-7, I still have it and use it occasionally. If I could afford either of them I'd choose the K100 because of the anti-shake.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote