Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Jim, You defiinitely have developed a knack for capturing the best of flowers: color, contrast and sharpness are stunning! I have difficulty with reds...what's your secret???
I agree, reds seem to get over saturated before any other hue. I don't use the "Bright" mode, instead try using the "Natural" setting or drop the saturation slider a bit. My K20D seems more faithful on the reds than my K100D. But the lens also makes a difference.

Before deciding to buy I tested this lens in my local shop for sharpness and I also sought out something bright red in the shop to shoot. In addition to sharpness, red hues are a good test. That was the final selling point on this lens - color rendition seems to be very good.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:26 PM   #12

i know i hgave taken red flower photos where the flowers have turned into red blobs, you did very well on these, and just in time for Valentines day

the whites on the second photo look a bit blown out on my screen, but the other colours look perfect
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:20 AM   #13

Jim - I think that sometimes the meter is fooled by reds also, choosing to blow them out. I've sometimes had luck with underexposing a bit, especially if the red is quite dark. After all, the meter tries to make the scene mid-grey so it will overexpose something it thinks is dark, just like it underexposes snow.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
i know i hgave taken red flower photos where the flowers have turned into red blobs, you did very well on these, and just in time for Valentines day

the whites on the second photo look a bit blown out on my screen, but the other colours look perfect
Agree with you on the second shot. I was trying different metering modes; center spot vs. multi-segment and forget what I used in this photo, but I do recall getting quite different results in this scene depending on which mode I used.

Jim
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Jim - I think that sometimes the meter is fooled by reds also, choosing to blow them out. I've sometimes had luck with underexposing a bit, especially if the red is quite dark. After all, the meter tries to make the scene mid-grey so it will overexpose something it thinks is dark, just like it underexposes snow.
Harriet - thanks for the advice, I should try bracketing to the under side next time, but the roses have died. Fortunately here in Buffalo I will have a few more months of snow to experiment with. (maybe that isn't so fortunate) I did notice that depending on spot vs. multi-segment metering gave noticeably different results.

Jim
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I agree, thanks Harriet, I had not realized this when I ended up with some oversaturated reds.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:09 PM   #17

Beautiful pictures Jim. The roses are stunning
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote