Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:49 PM   #1

Default A few flowers

K20D, new old SMC-A 35-105mm f/3.5

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:41 AM   #2

Jim - Thanks for the bouquet! Wonderful exposure for the wide range of tones, and especially great composition on the rose. Great lens in some great hands!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:15 PM   #3

Looks like that lens is a winner Jim!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I'm really enjoying this A 35-105mm lens. I didn't have any confidence in being able to manual focus, but this lens makes it easy (although I don't think BIF's are in it's future).
Jim
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:09 PM   #5

Bit short for BIF, isn't it? The lens looks really sharp, nice pictures, it's obviously perfect for flowers. Know what you mean about manual focusing - it's a lot easier if the lens is sharp. And if you can't quite see it, the camera does a pretty good job of prompting you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:12 AM   #6

Beautiful!
Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:46 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Jim, You defiinitely have developed a knack for capturing the best of flowers: color, contrast and sharpness are stunning! I have difficulty with reds...what's your secret???
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:00 PM   #8

The flower's sharpness rival what my Vivitar 105mm macro gets at F22. Wonderful color as well. You have to be pleased with what you have accomplished.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Jim, You defiinitely have developed a knack for capturing the best of flowers: color, contrast and sharpness are stunning! I have difficulty with reds...what's your secret???
I agree, reds seem to get over saturated before any other hue. I don't use the "Bright" mode, instead try using the "Natural" setting or drop the saturation slider a bit. My K20D seems more faithful on the reds than my K100D. But the lens also makes a difference.

Before deciding to buy I tested this lens in my local shop for sharpness and I also sought out something bright red in the shop to shoot. In addition to sharpness, red hues are a good test. That was the final selling point on this lens - color rendition seems to be very good.

Jim
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
The flower's sharpness rival what my Vivitar 105mm macro gets at F22. Wonderful color as well. You have to be pleased with what you have accomplished.

Lou
I always heard good things about the Viv 105mm, but wasn't prepared to pay what is being asked for them.

Unlike the Viv 105mm, the 35-105mm is not a true macro. The "macro" functions at all focal lenghts, but the min. focus distance increases proportionally to the focal length. When normal focusing, the front lens element rotates while turning the focus ring until you get to the macro range. Once you slide the focus ring forward to engage macro the front element no longer turns as you rotate the focus ring but the front element continues to move out. It seems like the internal design might resemble the addition of an extension tube; clever.

Jim