Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1

Default Street Scenes

Took a walk today at lunch and decided to take some street scenes.

For some humor - apartment dwellers (literally, I can't resist furry faces, especially large ones like this pretty girl. Her owner said that they live in an apartment!).

It was a lovely day, the air was rain-washed clean. The sun was out and many people were out enjoying it.

Spotted the last remaining rose:

Then I watched a helicopter coming in for a landing on top of a multi-story building (I was standing on the top of a 5 story parking structure).

As I was leaving the bottom of the parking structure, I happened to notice the sparks. I should have dialed in a little -Ev, as the sparks are a bit blown out. But I thought it was still interesting. I have no idea what the welder was welding, but the sparks flying out from the fence looked odd.

All pictures were taken with the K20 and the DA 55-300.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:30 AM   #2

Nice shooting. I especially like the first
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:10 AM   #3

I really like the first one. This is one thing I never feel comfortable doing. Taking street shots of people.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:11 AM   #4

Nice series, the first in particular. Is that B&W conversion out of the camera or PP?
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:06 AM   #5

I feel funny about taking pictures of people on the street also, Patty.

Jim - definitely not out of the camera. I did a fair amount of pp on it as the lighting wasn't the best. I used Topaz Lab's Detail on a separate layer for much of it - chose a sharpening look that I liked that was a bit over-the-top, then desaturated it. I liked what it did to the dogs and the guy walking them but not to the background. So I made another layer copy of the original and used CS4's b&w adjustment layer to do another conversion. Made a copy of that layer and used gaussian blur to soften that layer so the background was even blurrier than it was in the original. I added a layer mask on the blurrier background and used a gradient mask to blend the bottom part of the blurred background (just above the grass) into the original b&w so the transition looked more normal. Then added a layer mask to the sharpened layer and painted out the background, leaving grass, dogs and walker sharp. It sounds a whole lot more complicated than it was - took me longer to look at the picture and decide what I wanted to do with it, then later to decide what the best way to handle the background once I was happy with dogs, since the processing made the background too distracting. The hardest, most time-consuming process was painting out the background, mainly because I'm lousy at drawing in general.

I might try a b&w conversion of the second one also. I left it in color to emphasize the sunbather, just for all of you folks who are digging out of the snow. Thought that might get lost in a b&w.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:58 AM   #6

I know what you mean about being a little self conscious about street photography. I live in a town of only about 10000 people so it makes it even more of a mental challenge. I have found that no-one notices if it is at an event, since cameras are then commonplace, but even then I seldom share the results.

Great images BTW
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:22 AM   #7

Street photography is one of those things that is easy to do, or very difficult. I have found that most people do not like it, but still like to look at it. It is certainly not for everyone.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:10 PM   #8

You did a nice job on the B&W Harriett,
I like the helio shot. I'm assuming that's the hospital with the medi-flight bring in a patient.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:27 PM   #9

I like all of your shots, but my favorite, by far, is #2. I just love the juxtaposition of a guy in shorts with no shirt on, someone else who looks to be dressed for a "normal" day, and a third who is obviously prepared for a cool day. All three, in immediate proximity to each other. I think your others are very nice, but that one speaks to me the loudest.

I also find it difficult to do street photography. I love looking at street shots done by others, but I'm usually not comfortable taking pictures of people without their express consent, even if they do not appear to be bothered by it. Mike Johnston, in his "Online Photographer" blog, wrote a very nice piece a while ago about the day he realized he wasn't cut out to be a photojournalist. He was at either the Vietman war memorial, or Arlington Cemetery, I don't remember which. He came upon a greiving family lined up in perfect formation. The setting was visually perfect -- it would have made a great photo. But he said he didn't take the shot because he felt it would have invaded their private moment.

Some people are perfectly comfortable with street photogrqaphy; others aren't. I'm glad you took these, because I like them a lot.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:53 PM   #10

I have found that a long lens and distance between the subject and yourself makes street shooting easier. Most of the time the subject is unaware a picture has been taken.

I like your first shot and the B&W conversion you did was supper but how you did it was one large gaussian blur to me. LOL

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote