Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:00 AM   #1

Default a fish-y panoramic view

I posted a panorama for the monthly challenge here, and also posted it in the HDR section. We had quite an interesting discussion about panoramas in it (see http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...cityscape.html ) for the thread.

When I shot the series, I also decided to take a picture of the same scene with the 10-17 fisheye, for comparison. I couldn't get the whole width even with 10 mm, so I shot a two frame panorama with the fish-eye.

One of the things I've noticed when using Photoshop's merge to panorama is that you have choices as to how the program handles the stitching. Leaving it on auto can often give you strange results - the reason why all of a sudden the buildings on the right, which were not originally shot leaning, suddenly did. I went back and re-stitched them using the reposition option so the program won't distort things.

This time I was stitching two frames (each made up of 5 exposure HDR) with significant distortion. Reposition didn't work as objects weren't the same size in the two frames. But the auto setting has a block you can check to correct distortion, and the program stitched my two fish-eye pictures, giving me a fish-y panorama. So I guess that CS4's auto mode for stitching panoramas isn't as lame as I had thought.

This is just for fun, and no - I'm not going to try to de-fish it.

Larger version at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p461299546.jpg .
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:45 AM   #2

Oh, I love it Harriet!
De-fishing would ruin it for sure.
The contrast between the brilliant colors and the neutral tones really make it an outstanding shot, and the fish-eye effect works magic here.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:02 AM   #3

Fisheye at it's best!
Also the pp with saturated colours go well with the composition.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:18 PM   #4

I love it, Harriet. I just received my Zenitar 16mm fisheye this week. Hadn't had a chance to even play with it and had intended on going out today and seeing what would happen trying a pano with it. We did to out, but I ended up shooting other things. Seeing your image here, I'll have to try it for sure. Especially on my film camera where I'll see more fisheye effect.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the compliments - I was rather surprised that Photoshop would actually stitch it together as things aren't the same size due to the distortion. While I did play around with the colors a bit, I've always found the DA 10-17 to be a bright lens, figured it had to do with the fact it's so wide.

Patty - I'd be interested in whether you find the Zenitar to be that way also.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:26 PM   #6

Great..reminds me of a diorama of a city.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:52 PM   #7

Harriet,

I'm not sure what you are asking about.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:06 PM   #8

I looked at the pix again...it is very appealing. I love the rich colours that the Pentax 10-17 FE seems to bring out. Check that sky...what a rich, deep blue.

I also have a Pentax 10-17 and over the brief period of ownership and use, I've marveled at the lens' ability when it comes to colour rendition.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:23 AM   #9

Patty - One of the things that I like with the 10-17 is the brightness and colors the lens comes up with, especially when the sky is in the picture. I'd be interested in whether that's more common with fisheyes in general - so I'm wondering if you'll find a difference with how your Zenitar will be similar (brighter colors than your other lenses) or if you'll feel that its not much different than your other lenses.

Les - So it's not just me that notices it? I really have fun with this lens.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:45 AM   #10

Amazing, great sky and city.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote