Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:19 PM   #1

Default Anyone thinking of getting a 645D?

just wondering if anyone is considering this and at what price point you would jump on it?

would love it for doing landscape shots but not really practical for me but if it was cheap enough might be worth considering some day
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:06 PM   #2

Since I can't handle/manage the size and weight of a ff Canon or Nikon, there's no way I could manage a 645D. So even if the price drops down to where I could afford it, I still wouldn't consider it. But it will probably be a very good camera for those who can deal with a medium format camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:30 PM   #3

well i think thats the thing with this camera - dont think it has shake reduction either so i think its pretty much accepted that medium format gets a tripod

so would be for landscape or studio use mostly i imagine
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
well i think thats the thing with this camera - dont think it has shake reduction either so i think its pretty much accepted that medium format gets a tripod

so would be for landscape or studio use mostly i imagine
I saw a link in other forum about Hoya having a patent of SR mechanism on D645 filed 2 years ago. The patent is a lengthy document that was filed in U S.

I am interested if it is within certain price point

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:02 PM   #5

well i was just guessing on the shake reduction based on the images leaked was no SR on the front of any of the cameras

if your right would make it abit more handholdable but still gonna be heavy with mf and a its larger lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:20 PM   #6

I rarely make 11 x 17 inch enlargements, and I never make prints bigger than that. So the 14 megapixels of my K20 are more than enough. I have no need for more resolution, so I can't see any reason why I would buy a 645D, even if I could afford it. Which, unfortunately, I cannot.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:21 PM   #7

Interesting question posed.

My thoughts:

In the film days I used medium format as well as 35 mm slr and rangefinder.

I still have my Mamiya medium format system with the 80 mm normal, 65 mm wide angle and 180 mm telephoto.

The pictures from a medium format film are better than 35 mm...it's a question of negative size.

I know some say that digital full frame is the new medium format, but I doubt this is the case, given my long experience with MF.

The Pentax 6 X 7 medium format I rented, with the 90 mm F 2.8 leaf shutter lens...beautiful equipment, especially with the rosewood handle.

Would I like to get a Pentax 645 ?

Yes.

Will I get one ?

I don't know, mostly because the price for medium formats so far, seems way out of my budget...they are very expensive, more so then FF.

Also...new lenses and accessories...also promise to be very pricey.

Considering that the past two years + I have made a sizable investment in Pentax ASP-C...5 lenses, two bodies (K10D/KM), flash, accessories, etc.

But on the other hand I think that I would prefer to have a medium format digital over a full frame digital...if the costs were similar...that's the way I would go.

Weight....I'm a fairly big guy...and I didn't notice the weight that much of my Mamiya medium format system. My K10D with battery grip is no lightweight. I actually prefer bigger cameras...easier for me, more surface area to get my big mitts around.

But I can appreciate why a physically larger system would be a concern for a smaller person.

I'm also happy with the picture quality from my current Pentax system.

So in the end, I would love to have a new Pentax 645 system, with a few lenses and accessories.

But I've got a system that I'm happy with...so at this time, I suppose wait and see how good the 645D system is...btw I expect that it will meet the standards of it's predecessors..the film 645 and 6 X 7...which I can attest were very high indeed.

Who knows though, once the 645D is out. To paraphrase playwright Oscar Wilde ...I can avoid anything but temptation.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:43 AM   #8

Hi All,
if I could afford it, I would have one. It's like all the things we have now we didn't have a few years ago. We might have been very happy with a 1mg kodak whatever, but because we can have the brilliant pieces of equipment we have, we use them. So if medium format camera's were available and affordable to us I'm sure most of us would give them a go.
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:31 AM   #9

A sincere question. I fully understand why a committed hobbyist would want such a camera, but is there any real practical use for so many megapixels? I just can't see how you could tell the difference between, say 18 megapixels and 30 or 40 at any meaningful level. With careful processing, I have blown up 6 megapixel shots to poster size that are gorgeous. What exactly could you do with such a camera?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:37 AM   #10

believe the reason asside from massive prints is the dynamic range and colour preproduction is supposedly vastly superior on mf - at least this is what i've been told
Pentax Photo Gallery