Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Shanghai - Chinese New Year Decorations

OK so I've eventually managed to process some photos, these were taken in a downtown shopping mall. I went to buy a Valentine's present and as I had my new K7 in my backpack I thought I'd take a few photos of the CNY decorations that were up. Hope you like them. Most were taken with a Sigma 18 - 125 except those of the heart taken with a Pentax 43mm 1.9 Ltd.

Any comments / criticism / advice would be very welcome (be gentle) !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2

A good start - the decorations look very nice. Are the butterflies also decorations or are they a detail of something?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
A good start - the decorations look very nice. Are the butterflies also decorations or are they a detail of something?
Thank you. They are just part of a larger decoration -although I preferred the paper butterflies to the whole ensemble.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:00 PM   #4

Nice work Frogfish.
I really like the one looking down and the one looking up, through the red and gold decorations. very cool!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:01 PM   #5

Nice! I've been thinking in buying a K7 as my first dslr. Some reviews of the Sigma 18-125 state its a non sharp lens, but your picks looks razor sharp and pretty good. I would like to see larger picks.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:01 PM   #6

Very nice pics, Frogfish. I've never been to Asia, and I love to see photos that give me a glimpse into a different culture.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Very nice pics, Frogfish. I've never been to Asia, and I love to see photos that give me a glimpse into a different culture.
Thank you guys !

I'll try to post more photos of China / Thailand. We've lived here for 15 years and frankly couldn't imagine returning to live in the UK ! I tend not to go for the touristy pics any more but look for glimpses into the past or of cultural interest. I'll try and take more of both though from now on. I'm really looking forward to the World Expo which starts here soon and runs for 6 months - so I'll be posting a lot of photos of the different pavilions.

Ordo, I love the 18 - 125 range, it's perfect as a walk-around lens. I'm still trying to work out how sharp (or not) it is though as nothing looks sharp at 1 : 1 and everything looks sharp on a 15" screen ! Seems to be quite a bit of noise from the K7 although that doesn't bother me too much as I process almost everything using Nik Dfine and LR anyway.

Did anyone think I had over-processed the photos ? I do like a little pazzazz !

Last edited by Frogfish; Feb 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM.