Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:46 AM   #21

Default My Favorite

Good luck with your recuperation Big Dawg. Seems like you have it under the best control possible.
I think the Downy silhowette is unusually attractive. They are my favorite bird here, using the suet cages predominantly.
I note that some pain is not effectively mitigated by ordinary, over-the-shelf pain killers. Docs hate to prescribe opiates, and it is easy to get hooked on them, but they are effective. If you can get some prescribed, stop using them after four or five days, and don't break that rule unless the Doc says you should. I have to take them regularly for a back deformity, and have for 15 years at their minimum dosage, but, miss a dose by two hours, and you start going a little nutty. You don't want to get in that shape if anything else will work.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
Good luck with your recuperation Big Dawg. Seems like you have it under the best control possible.
I think the Downy silhowette is unusually attractive. They are my favorite bird here, using the suet cages predominantly.
I note that some pain is not effectively mitigated by ordinary, over-the-shelf pain killers. Docs hate to prescribe opiates, and it is easy to get hooked on them, but they are effective. If you can get some prescribed, stop using them after four or five days, and don't break that rule unless the Doc says you should. I have to take them regularly for a back deformity, and have for 15 years at their minimum dosage, but, miss a dose by two hours, and you start going a little nutty. You don't want to get in that shape if anything else will work.
Old Engineer
Thanks OE for the advice but no painkillers of any kind are going to be used here. Just tough it out. Pain gets less each day.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Get well soon... You also have a great variety of wild birds in front of your house...nice pix.
Thanks Les.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Ed, I hate to hear about your illness, but I understand all too well. I almost wish my doc had ordered rest instead of large amounts of walking....he was even cruel enough to inform my wife that his requirements specifically including hiking the garbage to the top of my hill.

I wish you well and hope to hear of your being out and about soon.

Paul
Thanks Paul.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Hope you're on the mend and get back to normal soon. I hope they gave you good drugs You can get real "creative" then... heheheh

Nice images!
Sorry Gary. No drugs here. I always try to get along without chemical help. Kind of a mind over matter type thing. LOL
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
What has happened to everyone here? I know I haven't been around much lately, this makes three now.

Ed,

I'm so sorry to hear of your plight. Wishing you a quick recovery, too. And, along with the others, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

I really like the second to the last one. The cardinal. He/she looks so regal sitting there on that branch watching over the yard.

Patty
I knew this was coming sooner or later Patty and haVE BEEN TAKING fLOMAX TO KEEP IT AT bEY. cAUGHT UP WITH ME FINALLY SO i WENT AHEAD WITH THE OPERATION. wORKED TOO. Sorry for the caps...my big fingers at work again...LOL
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Many kind thanks, indeed, beigdawg. All we have here in Finland is forest, more deep woods... over 10,000 lakes... and sauna, which is regular thing here in Finland... you sit in a small room at about 190 degrees fahrenheit then jump in a hole in the nice (not me, though)... One thing I want to photograph is what the Finns really like... they have they nature parks deep out in the countryside... you have these long, long planks of wook that are attached, one to another... that go on for miles... you walk on these... it is beautiful... anyway, I look forward to introducing a little of Finland to you all... Oh, Finns are big on birds... Our friend would but a real celebrity if he visited Finland.

Take care and many kind greetings from here in Finland.

Ned
Ned they have that kind of plank walkway in wetlands here in the states. I am awaiting those photos but have the patience to wait as long as needed. I truly think you will enjoy the camera lens combination you choose. Just remember Digital means free film. No longer have to wait till you process the film to see what you are shooting. Have fun with it my friend.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Ned they have that kind of plank walkway in wetlands here in the states. I am awaiting those photos but have the patience to wait as long as needed. I truly think you will enjoy the camera lens combination you choose. Just remember Digital means free film. No longer have to wait till you process the film to see what you are shooting. Have fun with it my friend.
Hey, Ed! Thanks for your kind words... So they have those planks for walkway in your neck of the woods. Absolutely awesome... A friend of mine took me to one in Western Finland... Ed, we walk so far on those planks... so deep into nature... you would not believe what it was like to just hear absolute silence... no car, nothing... beautiful marsh, woods, fields... birds galore... My wife is going to take me to one near our cabin.

Thanks about the camera... just can't stand the suspense... waiting for my jok'n tax return... sort of a tax return... we have 22% ALV that we have to pay on everything... my accountant found a way for me to collect over 1300 euros... I have 411 euros saved up... I also found a place in Finland that has a cheaper price on the K-7 and 18-55 WR kit lense... I will buy from them... and the other lense I will get from pixmania in France. The photos I saw with that lense (SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 limited) they were too good... So all the pictures I see on this forum, including yours... well, I just can't wait.

Many thanks indeed and all the best to you and yours.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:03 PM   #29

Dawg, you seem to have been making good use of your incapacitation to get some fine photos, but if you don't already know, be warned about Flomax. Men who have taken it develop a permanent condition known as "floppy iris syndrome," which doesn't cause any problems unless you develop cataracts that have to be removed. A special surgical techniques is required, so be sure to tell your opthalmologist, as not every surgeon he might recommend can handle the condition. It took 3 1/2 hours for one to do one eye of one of my friends who had used Flomax, and the surgeon said she would never do another; I recommended him to the one who had done mine (I hadn't used Flomax) and who knew the procedure - and my friend's second eye was done in 20 minutes or less with no problems.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Dawg, you seem to have been making good use of your incapacitation to get some fine photos, but if you don't already know, be warned about Flomax. Men who have taken it develop a permanent condition known as "floppy iris syndrome," which doesn't cause any problems unless you develop cataracts that have to be removed. A special surgical techniques is required, so be sure to tell your opthalmologist, as not every surgeon he might recommend can handle the condition. It took 3 1/2 hours for one to do one eye of one of my friends who had used Flomax, and the surgeon said she would never do another; I recommended him to the one who had done mine (I hadn't used Flomax) and who knew the procedure - and my friend's second eye was done in 20 minutes or less with no problems.
I had cataract surgery while on flomax...the surgeon knew of probable problems with Flomax and deadened my eyes with direct injections to the eyeball. Thanks for the warning though. This surgery allows me to get off the Flomax...no longer needed now. While on Flomax I nearly passed out every time I stooped, kneeled down or squatted down and then stood up quickly.