Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Over 100,000 posts...by far the most active forum on this website.

What is it about many Pentaxians that make them such enthusiastic photographers and loyal Pentaxians ?
Probably many reasons for the success of this forum:

First and foremost, the people involved, but there may be other contributing factors:

Birds of a feather flock together. If you owned a more popular camera, everyone else around you would have one also, and you would not be looking for kindred spirits.

People with eclectic tastes share their interests, and thus are friendlier - if you are old enough to remember when VW bugs were less ubiquitous, you remember how drivers waved as they passed by each other.

Some other forums may be dominated by one person or a group of people - like a private club which doesn't particularly welcome outsiders. Or which have one or more unpleasant people whose insensitive comments drive others way - we have had two or three of those, but some among us have had to let them know they were not welcome here.

Or maybe it just happened . . . .

The only negative might that threads that don't generate a high rate of responses tend to get buried before all who don't visit every day and who might be interested get to see them. I now show 25 threads on a page - I may soon have to raise it to 40, because there is an increasing level of activity and I don't always go to a second page to see what I may have missed. Maybe this will lessen when the weather moderates and people can get out and around again.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Probably many reasons for the success of this forum:

First and foremost, the people involved, but there may be other contributing factors:

Birds of a feather flock together. If you owned a more popular camera, everyone else around you would have one also, and you would not be looking for kindred spirits.

People with eclectic tastes share their interests, and thus are friendlier - if you are old enough to remember when VW bugs were less ubiquitous, you remember how drivers waved as they passed by each other.I do believe you're on to something...I had three VW Beetles back in the '60's...my '61 was my first car...Baltic Blue in colour.

Some other forums may be dominated by one person or a group of people - like a private club which doesn't particularly welcome outsiders. Or which have one or more unpleasant people whose insensitive comments drive others way - we have had two or three of those, but some among us have had to let them know they were not welcome here.

Or maybe it just happened . . . . I also notice how friendly and comfortable this forum is...

The only negative might that threads that don't generate a high rate of responses tend to get buried before all who don't visit every day and who might be interested get to see them. I now show 25 threads on a page - I may soon have to raise it to 40, because there is an increasing level of activity and I don't always go to a second page to see what I may have missed. Maybe this will lessen when the weather moderates and people can get out and around again.
I have been very pleased with the quality of responses. On occasion I ask a technical question. Even though I have been taking pix for decades and using Pentax SLR/DSLR since '68...I must admit I've never been technically adept and I find this forum absolutely great for quick, accurate answers on how to do things...or fix something.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:53 PM   #13
Super Moderator

just a bunch of wild-n-crazy guys (and gals) here eh.

congratulations pentaxians, you all have such a nice community here, and even allow us that shoot other things to drop by from time to time

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
just a bunch of wild-n-crazy guys (and gals) here eh.

congratulations pentaxians, you all have such a nice community here, and even allow us that shoot other things to drop by from time to time

We do...??? I thought you shot with a Pentax !!

Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:59 PM   #15
Super Moderator

actually no, i have been invested in the canon eos family for going on 15 years now (uh oh, i may have just warn out my welcome, lol)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:47 PM   #16

Quote:
actually no, i have been invested in the canon eos family for going on 15 years now (uh oh, i may have just warn out my welcome, lol)
Not hardly - you are always welcome here!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Canonites are always welcome.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:56 PM   #18

How about a full time canonites, who is a part time pentaxian
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
How about a full time canonites, who is a part time pentaxian
Should be ok as long as you're willing to sign the Pentaxian oath of allegiance....lessee...where did I put my copy....
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:45 PM   #20

LOL, I like that one