Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:36 AM   #21

Hi All,

For me, the attraction in this forum is that the people here are predominately non confrontational and would rather post pics, tell stories about them, and encourage other members than endlessly complain about their gear and argue about relatively inconsequential technical matters. I think it's largely a matter of perspective -- the glass half full as opposed to half empty thing. . . and being a little nuts helps in this. . .

I participate in a couple of other Pentax related fora, but mostly lurk for tips and news and only post when I think I can add a different perspective or see an obvious misrepresentation of the facts as I see them. I don't like the general tone they have taken in the past few years, and avoid many of the "regulars" in them. This forum is the only place I'll start a thread when I shoot something worthwhile and want to share it. This is friendly comfortable place, and I doubt it will ever change because of the quality of the people.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Canonites are always welcome.

Of Course...if it wasn't for canons we'd never know how good pentaxs are...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
What is it about many Pentaxians that make them such enthusiastic photographers and loyal Pentaxians ?
1 - I think that to be a "Pentaxian" you have to seek out the brand. Pentax is not to be found in a local camera store any longer so you can't go somewhere and pick one up and feel and inspect it. Perhaps we research the camera and lens system we own and have not come to choosing a Pentax system by accident. We rely on each other for feedback about the cameras operation and share our thoughts on the forum.

2- This particular forum, as others have so aptly stated, has a core of people who share a similar interest and are eager to share their knowledge and above all do it in a kind way. They also seem to genuinely care about their fellow forum members. It has a family feel to it.

3- I think we all in one way or another are trying to improve what we do as photographers and by posting here we get constructive feedback, tips and techniques that are freely shared between the members.

4- And we are a bit Nuts to boot!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
There's a thin line between nuts and genius. Are we Pentaxians too modest?

Kjell
I am with you Kjell!!!!
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
just a bunch of wild-n-crazy guys (and gals) here eh.

congratulations pentaxians, you all have such a nice community here, and even allow us that shoot other things to drop by from time to time

We feel you guys are just wayward relatives and will come to your senses given enough exposure to us.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
How about a full time canonites, who is a part time pentaxian
Of course you are welcome.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:26 AM   #27

Having grown up with a mother who drove a '62 VW, I can really identify with penolta's comment about the commonality of interest with those of eclectic tastes.

Most of the comments that have been made are very valid, but I think there are a couple of other points that can be made. Although we certainly have some very welcome "younger" members, a high percentage of the folks who are regulars on this forum share more than common interest in Pentax cameras. We tend to have a set of life experiences that make us able to easily and comfortably relate to each other, despite the disparate environments in which we live.

But, I think the thing that really makes this forum stand out is that we have people who are genuinely interested in seeing the work of others and are interested in improving their own skill set rather than demonstrating their own superiority. We have some remarkable photographers in this group, and I can't even start to list what I've learned from them, but from none of them do you ever get the tone of condescension that is so evident in many online photo forums.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:35 AM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
We feel you guys are just wayward relatives and will come to your senses given enough exposure to us.
pun intended???
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
LOL, I like that one
I gotta a million of them...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Of Course...if it wasn't for canons we'd never know how good pentaxs are...
I have some photog friends who have top notch Nikons and Canons. Their equipment is very impressive, very good stuff, but I have had numerous comments from them, often tinged with surprise at how good the Pentax equipment is....

As another poster indicated many of us did research before we chose Pentax. In my case over the years, I had used Pentax, along with other brands since '68, when I bought my first SLR...a Pentax.

With the digital age, I didn't know if I would stay with Pentax or go to Nikon (D200) or Canon (30D).

Both the Canikon(s) were fine cameras, really liked both of them and came close to getting a Nikon or Canon in 2007.

But Pentax came out with the Pentax K10D and the more I read, the more I handled it, the more I checked out the features...SR, weather sealing, ability to do a lot of custom settings, etc...the way it felt...my choice became easy....the K10D.

After 1000's of shutter actuations with my K10D...I have not regretted continuing with Pentax and have bought 5 Pentax lenses, Pentax flash and another body...the KM/K2000....since 2007.

Frankly I wouldn't want anything else and when the K10D eventually cries uncle...imagine I will replace it with a K8, K9 , K10 (...can't be right?), K11...whatever happens to be out.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote