Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Default Images never look right!

Why is it when I post an image here it always looks much darker than the original? It's like the gamma gets all screwed up. it's frustrating, because you never see what I intended you to see.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:53 AM   #2

Default This is a test

Just trying something. Did it again even if I compress the heck out of it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3

What color space do you take your photos in? If it's in AdobeRGB, you have to make sure that you convert the profile to sRGB in order to maximize compatibility when posting to the web, as older browsers won't recognize other color space profiles. Also, prior to OS X 10.6, Macs used to have a different gamma than PCs; as a result, images on Macs would have appeared darker than if viewed on a PC.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
What color space do you take your photos in? If it's in AdobeRGB, you have to make sure that you convert the profile to sRGB in order to maximize compatibility when posting to the web, as older browsers won't recognize other color space profiles. Also, prior to OS X 10.6, Macs used to have a different gamma than PCs; as a result, images on Macs would have appeared darker than if viewed on a PC.

- Jason
I use a Mac running 10.5.8. I'm aware of the color differences between Mac's and PC's. I have calibrated my 22 inch display with a Huey Pro, and everything looks great on this end till I save it through Photo elements, or use this sites uploader to dispaly the files. If I put the image on Photo Bucket then paste the link here it looks fine. See this next one......
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Boardwalk.jpg

Look at the difference in the gamma on his face.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
If I put the image on Photo Bucket then paste the link here it looks fine. See this next one......
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Boardwalk.jpg
That's a larger image. ;-)

You're probably exceeding the maximum image size allowed here (1024 pixels on the longest side).

When you do that, the forums software will automatically resize the image and compress it using a much lower JPEG quality. It also strips out the EXIF (in the image you have in that album, but not in the image you attached to your post here).

See my comments in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6

If you have the picture residing on Photobucket, why don't you just embed the URL into Img-brackets. You won't have to upload them here and you will have 100% control of what is showing.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
If you have the picture residing on Photobucket, why don't you just embed the URL into Img-brackets. You won't have to upload them here and you will have 100% control of what is showing.
What are image brackets? I have a link a few posts up.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Administrator

That works. But, we still prefer it if members limit the image size to 1024 bytes on the longest side and make sure the size isn't too large.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of internet users have 1024 x 768 resolution displays (not to mention that there are many laptop and netbook users).

So, when you post a larger image size, that means they have to scroll left and right (and/or up and down) to see the entire image. That also makes it much harder for viewers with lower resolution displays to read any responses in that same forum thread (since a wider image makes the entire thread wider). We also have a number of dialup users (not everyone has broadband internet access). IOW, there are reasons we limit resolution and file size for attaching images here. IOW, if you have a reason to post a larger version of an image, we'd prefer that you just post a link to it versus embedding it in a forum post here.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:42 AM   #9

I'll keep that in mind. My main concern was the image quality, but this seems to work. Is there a way I can post a link from photo bucket so the image appears in the post, and not just the link?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Administrator

Yes. But, if you don't exceed the maximum allowed file size and dimensions, the forums software won't modify your images. ;-)

Just keep the longest side to 1024 pixels or less and the file size down to under around 250KB, and the forums software will not try to do anything with them.

If you'd prefer to embed them directly, you can use code tags around the link to them. See the last sentence in the section on how to attach files on this page:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fa...b3_attachments