Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Thought I would share.....

I have been coming to this site in silence ever since I had my first digital camera. It was an Olympus 3000 I think, which my brother bought me before our trip to Italy. I have come to know a lot of you, and consider you all friends. Therefore I'd like to share with you how I got into this wonderful hobby.

My dad was the photographer in the family. He loved it with a passion. His equipment was an Exakta, and a kilfit Kilar telephoto lens which I still have, and may try on my K7 someday. I remember back in the early 60's he bought my brother a Sears Tower 37 because it was one of the few cameras that had an Exakta mount. He gave me a Kodak Instamatic for my birthday, (my brother was 11 years older than me). That was all it took.

I remember our trips my dad, my brother, and myself on the weekends to the Field Museum in downtown Chicago to take time exposures of the diarama's. My dad would setup his camera on his tripod, and take a good 15 minutes to snap off his first shot. I clearly remember him shooting this really long hallway upstairs. He had my brother take his electronic flash, and stand off camera behind display cases as my dad would cover the lens with the cap, he opened the lens, told my brother to flash, then would cover it again. My brother would run down another 10 feet or so, and repeat the same thing till he got to the end of the hall. The final result was a beautifully exposed image all the way to the end. I guess he set the camera on bulb.

Well that was it. I thought that was the coolest thing I ever saw,(remember this was the early 60's). Ever since that day I fell in love with the camera, and expanded to telescopes. Those were the days. Unfortunately there gone along with my brother, one of my dearest friends who recently past away this last September. With the passing of my brother I realize I have lost the link to these memories so I share them with you. I miss them along with my mom very much, but the memories of those great shooting expeditions live on in my heart.

Unfortunately my son has no interest in photography, or Astronomy. He has his own interests, and rightly so. Therefore I share this with all my virtual friends, and it works. I have been visiting this site for many years, and just recently decided to become an active member. I'm glad I did. It's funny because now I realize just how important photography really is, because since my dad was the family photographer, there are actually very few pictures of him. How sad it is that looking back, we didn't realize to snap more of the great one's that got away. Taught me to shoot everything no matter how insignificant it my seem at the time. Now at the twilight of my life, I know not to make the same mistake again. Luckily my wife is into scrapbooking big time, and is the archivist of the family. Love you all.... happy shooting......

Tony

P.S. If any of you live in the Orlando area let me know, I'd love to go shooting with you. My dad's last camera was a Pentax Spotmatic still in mint shape.
Attached Images

Last edited by tony3dd; Feb 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2

Very touching and heartfelt sentiments. Thanks for sharing - we are happy to be here for you.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:43 PM   #3

Hey Tony,
I agree with Penolta. Thanks for sharing.
Memories is what its all about and photos and scrap-booking are wonderful ways of retaining them and passing them on to later generations.
Funny thing, the photo of your dad looks a lot like my older brother. The mouth is different but, the eyes and forehead are a perfect match.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:57 PM   #4

Tony,
Thanks for sharing your story. Your Dad must have had quite a passion for this hobby, and he has blessed you with that joy and great memories. I wonder if I would have that passion without modern day electronics and digital technology; probably not. So hats off to your Dad and the legacy he has left.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:57 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing. Mine is similar but different in that it was my Uncle Jim Wilkerson that inspired me. I could never afford the film and processing for more than one or two rolls a year but when I could I'd borrow my sisters Brownie Hawkeye and shoot what I could. Jim in the early 70's gave my Dad a pocket Rangefinder 35mm with a 35mm Wollensak lens and from then on I moved to 35mm. I now shoot as many as 2-300 shots a day....that would have been impossible back then as film was so dearly priced..

Thanks again for stirring up the memories.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:19 PM   #6

Great story!

You know, I feel the same way about my mother, there are not that many pictures of her and I'm trying to change that. She hates pictures, but I keep telling her "I need these pictures of you..."
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:51 PM   #7

Glad I shared. Happy you all enjoyed it.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:21 AM   #8

That's lovely Tony. Very touching.

What a great idea your father had with that hallway !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
That's lovely Tony. Very touching.

What a great idea your father had with that hallway !
Yes, it really works quite well. I know I still have it here somewhere. It would probably be a slide.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:41 AM   #10

Great story and great legacy. Thanks for sharing!

If you find the slide, be sure to scan it if possible (slides do deteriorate over time...) And maybe you could post it here too sometime!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote