Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Can I use Pentax K-X 18-55 mm to photography kids indoors without using flash light?

Does anybody here know if i can use Pentax K-X 18-55 mm to photograph kids indoors without using flash light? Becasue i found the FA50/1.4 is way too expensive.
Thanks for adive,

KO
KOT1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:56 PM   #2

Well, first let me welcome you to the forum!
Second, that depends on several different factors.
Available light, what shutter speed you use and ISO and of course aperture.
All that aside, my guess is you won't get the results you want without flash but, that's just my opinion.
My personal experience with the 18-55 indoors hasn't been to good without it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:07 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's.

Sure you can photograph them with that lens, if they will be any good or not is a different matter.

What sort of photos are we talking, running around playing, sitting still..... etc?

Assuming a normal sort of indoor light then you are looking at between 1/10 - 1/20s at f5.6 and ISO 1600.

If you go to max ISO of 12800 on the K-x then that is 1/80s - 1/160s.

Will that be fast enough? Can't say. Will the output be good enough quality? Depends on the desired use.

Why are you not wanting to use flash? Generally this is by far the best option assuming you have an external flash. If you are using on board it can be a bit harsh, but if done right can give good results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

my answer was very much along the lines of mark's.

you CAN, but why would you? the results with properly used flash will be better.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:40 PM   #5

Default HI

Thank you for your kind reply.
I am a beginner and I just ordered the K-X ( not arrived yet).
the reason I do not want to use the flash is because I heard it is harmful to the eyes if kids are less than 3 yr old.

thanks,
KOT1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:41 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOT1317 View Post
Thank you for your kind reply.
I am a beginner and I just ordered the K-X ( not arrived yet).
the reason I do not want to use the flash is because I heard it is harmful to the eyes if kids are less than 3 yr old.

thanks,
it is in no way harmful to the eyes of any human being.

the light from a flash is diffuse and VERY brief. light of long duration and concentrated into small beam (aka sun through magnifying glass type thing) is required for light to be harmful.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:42 PM   #7
Super Moderator

The whole flash thing and children is urban myth.

If it were the case no pro photographer would do baby/child photos for fear of law suit, and Drs would be telling us all not to photograph the newborns.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:49 PM   #8

Yes you can with good available light and child that will stay still long enough so there is no motion blur. This one was done in a very well lit room with plenty of sunshine.
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:01 PM   #9

These were done in a hospital room with 2 very large windows giving good sunshine. Also these were shot with a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 M lens. The extra f/stops do make a difference.
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Yes you can with good available light and child that will stay still long enough so there is no motion blur. This one was done in a very well lit room with plenty of sunshine.
I think this post is a great illustration of low light - the first 2 shots are blurry - camera shake (i.e. inanimate objects are blurry too). But the third is sharp. I think this is a very realistic example - very good light and still 1 out of 3 sharp images. But when they're sharp like the 3rd one they look great.

There is absolutely no truth to the fairy tale that flash is harmful - when used reasonably. Obviously if you blast a flash a foot away from an infant's eyes and repeat that process numerous times in a row it could cause some issues. But there is no issue with normal flash use. As a father of a 3 1/2 year old and uncle of 9 nieces and nephews I highly recommend an external flash. While I love available light photography - 90% of the times indoors you just can't capture the moment with available light and wide apertures alone.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote