Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:16 PM   #1

Default Ristra

Now, I'm not sure if I can post this here, but I decided why not if I'm taking pictures with my new Pentax, I should get Pentax Feedback!!

So here is my question...The color red, is it just me or is usually one of the hardest colors to photograph?

Sample of a Ristra...

I also did some editing in Adobe Lightroom. Not sure if it helped but to my eye it did....
Attached Images

Last edited by StyleXP90; Feb 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM. Reason: left out message
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:12 PM   #2

That's a perfect question for this group.
On my monitor, the color looks good. I see a tad out of focus. If you were using auto focus on this busy target, it may have trouble getting a good reading. that's not uncommon in a scene like this.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:17 PM   #3

Yes, red seems to give a problem, over saturated, or not exposed properly. Harriet had some good advice in this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...w-flowers.html

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:45 PM   #4

@Goldwinger - You are absolutely right, it is out out of focus! I also did have it on Auto focus. Should I switch to manual focus and try this picture again?

@a200user - Thank you to the reference of Harriet! This will help me out!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:55 PM   #5

I think you did a good job in lightroom dealing with the problem of shooting red, it looks fine on my monitor. It is the hardest color for Pentax cameras. My suggestion of underexposing a bit helps with some reds, but it doesn't always work. It's always worth the try because there's always the delete key if its worse.

A couple of things you can try with the focus - you can try manual focus (good practice, if nothing else). But a couple of other things you can do/think about when faced with this type of situation. First, make sure you are not too close to the scene (i.e., you aren't closer than the minimum focusing distance - I can't tell you how many times I've tried to take a picture when I'm too close). I don't think that was much of a problem here, though. In this case, I think I would have used a smaller aperture - f4 isn't that big (what lens were you using at f4 and 28mm?), or taken a couple with different apertures. If the lens was wide open, then perhaps the lens is a bit soft (many lenses are).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:23 PM   #6

You are exactly right! f4 28mm. I will take it with different apertures next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think you did a good job in lightroom dealing with the problem of shooting red, it looks fine on my monitor. It is the hardest color for Pentax cameras. My suggestion of underexposing a bit helps with some reds, but it doesn't always work. It's always worth the try because there's always the delete key if its worse.

A couple of things you can try with the focus - you can try manual focus (good practice, if nothing else). But a couple of other things you can do/think about when faced with this type of situation. First, make sure you are not too close to the scene (i.e., you aren't closer than the minimum focusing distance - I can't tell you how many times I've tried to take a picture when I'm too close). I don't think that was much of a problem here, though. In this case, I think I would have used a smaller aperture - f4 isn't that big (what lens were you using at f4 and 28mm?), or taken a couple with different apertures. If the lens was wide open, then perhaps the lens is a bit soft (many lenses are).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:35 PM   #7

Both Reds and Yellows give a problem to my camera. I am constantly having to de-saturate the photos of Cardinals and yellow Gold finches I post. Just part of it I guess.