Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:22 PM   #1

Default Northern Harrier Hawk, My First

What is Northern Hawk doing in South Florida? This was my first capture of this make of bird, Male and Female. Caught in Green Cay Wetlands, Boynton Beach, Florida,

K7, Sigma 150 500mm

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:30 PM   #2

Oi, looking at these pictures, I just don't know how I am going to survive waiting til I get my K-7... I like the second shot the most... what beautiful colours you captured. You did a great job capturing these birds in flight. I wondering, the K-7 allow you to take 3 or so rapid shots at different aperatures/shutter speeds so that you can play around with the depth-of-field works in the photo... Again, I really like the second as it it is... the back ground (obviously, the hawk flying) give you a real sense of motion. Great job!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:08 PM   #3

Excellent shots Ed!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:22 PM   #4

Ed, how do you do that. I have a new K7. Teach me! I can't get the bird near center for the live of me, or in such sharp focus. Give mr some pointers ppplleeaassee.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:39 AM   #5

Wow, terrific flight shots, well done.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:50 AM   #6

Looking at these pictures from a different screen, these are really, really great pictures... And still the second one is my favourite... lovely colours and composition... an exciting shot that is NOT easy to take, but you have provided us with three neat shots. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:04 AM   #7

These are marvellous, Ed.
My favourite is #1, I did some experimenting with composition. Cropping, adding cancvas and cloning just to see if it would work. Hope you don't mind.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Ed, how do you do that. I have a new K7. Teach me! I can't get the bird near center for the live of me, or in such sharp focus. Give mr some pointers ppplleeaassee.
I have found using spot focus on BIF's frustrating. I have more success using multipoint focus. With multi point I find if you have the subject anywhere near the middle it will focus on the closest object. See the busy background in two of these photos. The trick is to not depress the shutter half way until the subject is near the center, you can tell if focus is on the subject or the background. I do use spot focus when there are objects in front of the subject, but it is tough if you do not have a large slower subject.

Ed
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
These are marvellous, Ed.
My favourite is #1, I did some experimenting with composition. Cropping, adding cancvas and cloning just to see if it would work. Hope you don't mind.

Kjell
Thats fine, I would be curious to see what others think. I had more room to crop deeper but felt the background was too busy. Since the Hawk is looking down adding more space makes sense.

Ed
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooked View Post
Thats fine, I would be curious to see what others think. I had more room to crop deeper but felt the background was too busy. Since the Hawk is looking down adding more space makes sense. Ed
IMO a bird in flight needs a bit of room in the direction it is flying, and in this case looking, so should not be cropped too closely either ahead or below.

Ed, these are great pictures. The owl-like facial disk shows particularly well in #2 - these birds hunt by sound as owls do, but in daylight, listening for sounds of rodents rustling in the marsh grass which then direct the eyes where to look - that is what the male is doing in that picture, the best I have ever seen to show that. Thanks for posting these.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote